Missing Cleaner Wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantareadio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a cleaner wrasse Friday and by Saturday night it was gone. It didn't go carpet surfing (I'd smell it by now) and I moved ALL mu LR and its carcass isn't under the rocks and I sifted though the sand. Not there. I have an overflow. Not there.
???? Anyone???

Could have died and got eaten by the CUC or another fish. Whats your stock and parameters?

In one day?!? There weren't even bones!
It was the biggest thing I had in there...
I had JUST done a WC so parameters were beautiful.

Yes they usually break it all down, and you will never know if it was there or not. What is your stock?

Several snails and hermit crabs, a skunk cleaner
One fish idk what it is and can't ident =\ it was in the damsel tank at the LFS and is yellowish peach
Two humbugs
Two baby clowns
Yellow tail damsel
African fire goby
Diamond blenny
Three green chomis

They are not very hardy fish in the aquarium. Never been able to keep one alive for longer than 4 months. Should have lasted longer than one day though.

They are not very hardy fish in the aquarium. Never been able to keep one alive for longer than 4 months. Should have lasted longer than one day though.

What is the reason for their short life in home aquaria? is it a feeding issue? One of my snooty tooty LFS's has a 500g tank with like half a dozen in it. I have been thinking of adding one to one of my tanks after seeing their display. It's a very cool looking fish. :-D

I've heard they do better in pairs then as singles. My LFS steered me away from them, said get cleaner shrimp instead...

What is the reason for their short life in home aquaria? is it a feeding issue? One of my snooty tooty LFS's has a 500g tank with like half a dozen in it. I have been thinking of adding one to one of my tanks after seeing their display. It's a very cool looking fish. :-D

You are correct Carey, unfortunately they have a feeding issue. :( Generally they only eat parasites and skin tissue from fish, which is why they are difficult to keep alive in captivity. One of my LFS too has a Cleaner Wrasse(s) (not sure how many are in the tank) in a 500g. I think the reason our LFS' are able to keep them alive is because of the amount of fish available to them to clean (eat off of).

I have also read that Cleaner Wrasses can sometimes become pests in aquaria. This happens because they keep going back to the fish to eat off of them and it stresses them out (if there are not enough fish to eat off of).

Could be in your LR, mine sleeps in the smallest hole, not always the same one. He's great always picking at the fish and eats most of the foods I use, had him 6 months now. Quite a fatty now.
Hope he turns up soon.

Back
Top Bottom