Missing Trigger Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minkota

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a Huma Trigger about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks ago and he was doing ok but seemed like he was blind and a few days ago he disappeared and I haven't seen him in like 3 days. Is this normal for this fish or is it likely he is dead somewhere in the tank.

I have a Huma, and the only time he hides is when he sleeps, he usually uses his top spike or dorsal fin to lock himself in place. But when the lights are on he is usually always all over the place.

Mine was the same way and now he's nowhere to be found. I have a lot of rock so I'd really hate to pull it out to find him. Guess I will wait and see if he shows up.....

If he's not alive then your cuc would probably lead you to him

lakaiguy said:
If he's not alive then your cuc would probably lead you to him

Yea, that's what I was hoping but I haven't noticed anything odd yet with the cuc, and I have a huge hermit crab who I would think would be all over it.

Minkota said:
Day four and still no sign of him. It's not looking good...

Have you added anything new without quarantining it lately?

:( hopefully he is hiding out but incase (let's hope this isn't the case) he has died, have you noticed anything regarding your other fish?

What testing the water??

Wouldn't a deceased fish after a few days affect ammonia or others levels??

nikki_kaiser said:
Have you added anything new without quarantining it lately?

:( hopefully he is hiding out but incase (let's hope this isn't the case) he has died, have you noticed anything regarding your other fish?

No, he was the last fish added. Other fish are fine.

lakaiguy said:
What testing the water??

I thought the same thing. Only parameter out of whack is phosphates which have been out of whack for a while but are decreasing in the last few days.

Huh well maybe move a couple rocks around just to see if you can find him.

If he's sick you might have time to save him.

lakaiguy said:
Huh well maybe move a couple rocks around just to see if you can find him.

If he's sick you might have time to save him.

That's pretty much the plan, I just have so much rock (+300lb) so it is a lot of work and with my luck he will be in the last rock lol

lakaiguy said:
What testing the water??

Depends on the amount of CUC and their efficiency. Also, a very large tank losing a small fish wouldn't necessarily give high ammonia readings. When I had my larger tank, if I lost something the CUC usually did a good job to the point that I not only did not see any changes with my water but never even found any traces. :(

Any luck yet.. Poor little guy I hope he is okay. Rudy Rudy Rudy!!!

Shaker said:
Any luck yet.. Poor little guy I hope he is okay. Rudy Rudy Rudy!!!

No, I think it's safe to say he is gone and the CUC took care of the remains. Never saw a spike in parameters.

Sucks that he's gone! But on a positive note: at least you know you have a really healthy tank!!!!

Back
Top Bottom