Mixing salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello folksThis is my first post. I decided it was time to start mixing my own salt water instead of buying it from the LFS. So start with I bought a 44 gallon Rubbermaid bruteTrashcan.It seems as though there is an oily slick on the surface of the water . I have washed the can out several times with fresh water and some salt water, but the slick still appears is there something else I can wash the trashcan out with. Thanks for all the replies in advance.

Do yo notice this "slick" when you fill it up with regular freshwater?

Anyways.. i wouldn't really risk using water coming from that trash can if you've cleaned it several times and there's still a oily slick on the surface of the water. Don't take any chances. I would just go out and buy a brand new rubbermaid tub, instead of the trash can.

However.. you could clean it out with bleach or vinegar. Most people like to use bleach since it will destroy everything.. and is easy to clean since all you need to do is wash the bleach out, and let it air dry. But i prefer to use vinegar.

How much salt water are you planning on making or having ready at one time? It looks as though you only have a 35 gallon tank. I personally only do a 10% water change every week. So I am a bit confused why you are mixing water in a trash can. I have an extra 10 gallon tank that I keep in the basement I have a simple HOB filter that I crammed full of carbon and bio chem. I make my water up a day ahead of time and just let it filter to help remove any impurites like iron etc. I have a heater on the tank so after a day running the water is ready to go right into my DT. I have learned that a smaller more fequent water change sems to help keep a more stable tank. If you do not want to make your water ahead of time just get some 5 gallon buckets and you can make your water and make sure the temp is right and it can go in your tank. I personally like the other method it gives me a chance to double check my temp and salinuty levels. Remember never add salt directly to your DT. I hope this helps :)

From the sound of it, you have one of the trash cans that is not food grade (aka BPA free). If after cleaning with bleach you still see the oil on the surface, then don't use it. You'll have to go back to your local hardware store and find a can that is safe to use. If you ask around at the store about the food grade cans, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

How much salt water are you planning on making or having ready at one time? It looks as though you only have a 35 gallon tank. I personally only do a 10% water change every week. So I am a bit confused why you are mixing water in a trash can. I have an extra 10 gallon tank that I keep in the basement I have a simple HOB filter that I crammed full of carbon and bio chem. I make my water up a day ahead of time and just let it filter to help remove any impurites like iron etc. I have a heater on the tank so after a day running the water is ready to go right into my DT. I have learned that a smaller more fequent water change sems to help keep a more stable tank. If you do not want to make your water ahead of time just get some 5 gallon buckets and you can make your water and make sure the temp is right and it can go in your tank. I personally like the other method it gives me a chance to double check my temp and salinuty levels. Remember never add salt directly to your DT. I hope this helps :)

The whole idea of using the trash can, even for his size tank, is that it helps to have enough water capacity on hand to do a complete 100% water change if need be (in case of a serious problem like tank contamination etc.). Not to mention if you get one with wheels, say bye bye to lugging around all that water lol. :squarewink:

yes I notice the slick with just fresh filtered water.the tank 135 gallon 72x23x18 . Iwill probably try washing with bleach.Would'nt I possibly get the same thing even with a different trashcan? I would like to do 20-25 gallon pwc.Thanks much for the replys

yes I notice the slick with just fresh filtered water.the tank 135 gallon 72x23x18 . Iwill probably try washing with bleach.Would'nt I possibly get the same thing even with a different trashcan? I would like to do 20-25 gallon pwc.Thanks much for the replys

The key is if the can is food grade or not. Normal trash cans are just pressed out plastic and they can leach that oily junk out for a looooong time. When they are made to food grade level, they don't leach out that stuff for food safety reasons and are safe to use for mixing our water.

Food grade trashcan I've never heard of that, but that's what AA is all about. Tell me things that I don't know.I'm new to saltwater .I beleve i'm on the right foot with this forum.thanks

i never really thought about using a trash can for a water change. i planned on using those stupid 5 gallon barrels u see at an office. i have concrete floors where my tank is so a trash can on wheels would be awesome i can fill it in the garage and use the water hose.

All Rubbermain BRUTE products are food grade. If this one has some sort of oily slick when filled with water I would return it and get a different one. If this was the top can in a stack something may have spilled in it.

I use a 45g BRUTE for my RODI top off water (ATO). I've had it for 3 years and once a year I clean it with warm water and a clean cloth to remove any biofilm (bacteria) that may be coating the sides.

OK problem solved. I was using a regular submersible pump from a hardware store.The oil must of been coming from the pump. I replaced with a ph and all is fine.Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom