mixing tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebrit250

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am thinking of mixing 4 tangs together i just setup a 135 gallon tank and was wondering if i can put 4 tangs together in it at the same time if they would get along if so what tangs would u suggest getting thanks

I also am thinking of doing this. I have a 125G reef tank. I was thinking not too many fish, and wouldn't it be cool to have a tang tank. Any ideas would be appreciated. I may get another regal tang as one.

thanks for having same thought i was thnking a yellow tang a salfin tang a blue tang and a anohter tang

Just remember to add them all at the same time, and even then, the more aggressive ones may still cause problems. One other thing that may work is getting tangs that are different shaped. A regal nad a yellow tang could get along ok if added at the same time. And also, you better have one heck of a filtration system, cuz they make alot of poop.

I have three in my 125. I`m kind of scared to push my luck with any more. I would like to try another one though. This is my combo right now.

029.jpg

i don't think it has anything to do with shape. i believe, while we have some guidelines about which tangs are more aggressive than others, it's ultimately up to the individual fish.
i've seen sohal tangs, which are supposed to be very aggressive, act completely peaceful to it's mates.
i've also seen tangs eat corals and different shapes relentlessly attack each other.
it's mostly luck i'm afraid.

I'm with Doug, it's up to the individual fish, though we can generally go by their normal behavior.

Like Mike, I have 3 in a 125 and would not add a 4th. My Sailfin tang has been in the tank about 6 years, the Blue tang about 3 years and the Yellow tang about a year.

yeah i could only imagine him doing some smaller ones like a kole tang or something, even three for me in a 125 would be pushing it, but of course that's just IMO

I have three in my 125. I`m kind of scared to push my luck with any more. I would like to try another one though. This is my combo right now.

I love your Kole tang. That's one of the ones I lost in my ich fiasco of late. I was thinking of getting another Kole, a Regal and a Yellow tang. My powder blue and the kole got along just fine, after a little getting used to each other. They would eat together.

I have read that fish of different shapes, including tangs, can get along better because they don't look the same. We'll see. Maybe I will just do three tangs. Do you have any other fish, or just the three tangs?

Yes I have 9 fish in all. My tangs have some age to them. The yellow tang is 11 yrs and the Kole is 8 yrs and the scopus is about 6 yrs old.

its all to do with shape and color. hence why you can have a sailfin with a yellow and a orange shoulder before changing colors all together.

i completely disagree, and i say so from experience. you will eventually run into trouble thinking that.

I agree.

Blanket statements just don't seem to work in this hobby. Fish have personalities and they don't always follow the rules we set for them. Shape and color may be factors but to say it has only to do with that is just not accurate.

its a majority of what matters and i also speak from experience. and yesh fish do have personalities. never once said they didnt. hence why some damsels will be all happy with everything then you have some that havoc the tank.

Mixing Tangs

Based on my experience, fish are like people and have attitudes. I had a pesky yellow tang that wanted to own the aquarium (250gal). He stressed out my Naso and PBT to the point I had to get rid of him. My BNT and BPT swim together and are happy he's gone, go figure..one little different colour and different shaped tang can mess up the community. I would suggest buying a very large tank for them as well. Even when small, they think like they are big. If you want tangs, especially Naso or Hippo think 200 plus gallon for the tank. My rule of thumb is to remember what worked before, doesn't always work again. Always keep an eye on their behavior. Research each fish individually and then again for compatibility.When adding a new Tang (after 2 week quarantine) feed your existing fish first.You can change something in the tank, like moving a rock, nothing drastic,the tangs are very curious and will pay attention to that change as much as than the new roommate, at least until feeding time!

Back
Top Bottom