Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morays are resistant to many of the parasites that take out other fish. Everyone makes mistakes on fish selection sometimes, I just wish others would pay attention to mistakes forum member report and quit thinking they are immune to these problems. Some fish are virtually impossible to keep long term in an aquarium, even for experts with deep pockets. They should never have been collected in the first place. When the vast majority of people report problems with long term care of a type of fish, there is truth there that shouldn't be ignored.

Morays are resistant to many of the parasites that take out other fish. Everyone makes mistakes on fish selection sometimes, I just wish others would pay attention to mistakes forum member report and quit thinking they are immune to these problems. Some fish are virtually impossible to keep long term in an aquarium, even for experts with deep pockets. They should never have been collected in the first place. When the vast majority of people report problems with long term care of a type of fish, there is truth there that shouldn't be ignored.

+ 1 I agree with idols, should not have been captured to begin with.

Agree. Guess i should have researched first. I spoke with the alleged expert who obviously told me what i needed to hear. I dont normally make unresearched purchases.

At least your not just trying too get another. Glad that your willing to step up and learn from it. Any updates or news on what happened to everyone??

It is irresponsible for any LFS to offer a Idol to anyone they know is not prepared to care for it, tank size, feeding, etc. While it's not your fault, I think your idea of researching a bit more is right on. I carry my smart phone so I can look that fish or coral up while standing in the LFS.

I think that a responsible LFS should not do anything but special order fish like Moorish Idols, Achilles Tangs, etc. That almost forces the conversation of "Are you aware?"

I look stuff up on my phone all the time at my LFS. Sometimes even on fish I don't want, but am just wondering about.

Sorry about your fish losses... I just lost 5 of my little fish to what I think was marine velvet. I even lost my mandarin. :-(

It happens in this hobby but I am glad you are gonna research before adding any questionable fish. We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up over it too bad.

At least your not just trying too get another. Glad that your willing to step up and learn from it. Any updates or news on what happened to everyone??

No have no idea. Puffer doing ok. Cant believe moray ate my clowns i thought they were too big

Sorry about your fish losses... I just lost 5 of my little fish to what I think was marine velvet. I even lost my mandarin. :-(

It happens in this hobby but I am glad you are gonna research before adding any questionable fish. We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up over it too bad.

Thanks.. Sorry to hear about your losses too. He was doing ok and i had him advertised on Gumtree to get him to a bigger tank as i didnt want him to die. He was victim 2 i think of the mass exodus

Somehow I think Ashley will be the first one to chime in when someone posts a new thread about wanting to get a moorish idol,...as stated above we all make some errors here in judgement and in other areas and hopefully we can learn from our and other's mishaps . Sorry about the loses Ashley,,.ill be snorkeling back in hawaii at the end of next month and ill think of you when i see one cruising over the reefs,..you rock girl!!!

The only thing I can add is that the first time you go skiing you are probably lucky to get back with any dignity intact. With practice comes understanding and techniques that allow you to progress. Reef keeping is no different. Nobody wakes up one day and finds they can grow corals and keep difficult fish, they progress towards it. It is human nature to be in a hurry and want to take short cuts, or believe you are the lucky one, but that in the end punishes you thru losses and confusion. Lose enough expensive fish or coral and out of the hobby you go thru frustration. The frustration comes from not listening to advice on what to keep initially and jumping the gun to fish/coral you will not be successful with as a newbie. We are all trying to help get you all over that hump in the road.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom