Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
Moorish Idol

Morays are resistant to many of the parasites that take out other fish. Everyone makes mistakes on fish selection sometimes, I just wish others would pay attention to mistakes forum member report and quit thinking they are immune to these problems. Some fish are virtually impossible to keep long term in an aquarium, even for experts with deep pockets. They should never have been collected in the first place. When the vast majority of people report problems with long term care of a type of fish, there is truth there that shouldn't be ignored.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmkb02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Morays are resistant to many of the parasites that take out other fish. Everyone makes mistakes on fish selection sometimes, I just wish others would pay attention to mistakes forum member report and quit thinking they are immune to these problems. Some fish are virtually impossible to keep long term in an aquarium, even for experts with deep pockets. They should never have been collected in the first place. When the vast majority of people report problems with long term care of a type of fish, there is truth there that shouldn't be ignored.

+ 1 I agree with idols, should not have been captured to begin with.
__________________

__________________
Jmkb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Agree. Guess i should have researched first. I spoke with the alleged expert who obviously told me what i needed to hear. I dont normally make unresearched purchases.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmkb02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Moorish Idol

At least your not just trying too get another. Glad that your willing to step up and learn from it. Any updates or news on what happened to everyone??
__________________
Jmkb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
It is irresponsible for any LFS to offer a Idol to anyone they know is not prepared to care for it, tank size, feeding, etc. While it's not your fault, I think your idea of researching a bit more is right on. I carry my smart phone so I can look that fish or coral up while standing in the LFS.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
I think that a responsible LFS should not do anything but special order fish like Moorish Idols, Achilles Tangs, etc. That almost forces the conversation of "Are you aware?"

I look stuff up on my phone all the time at my LFS. Sometimes even on fish I don't want, but am just wondering about.
__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Sorry about your fish losses... I just lost 5 of my little fish to what I think was marine velvet. I even lost my mandarin. :-(

It happens in this hobby but I am glad you are gonna research before adding any questionable fish. We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up over it too bad.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
At least your not just trying too get another. Glad that your willing to step up and learn from it. Any updates or news on what happened to everyone??

No have no idea. Puffer doing ok. Cant believe moray ate my clowns i thought they were too big
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Sorry about your fish losses... I just lost 5 of my little fish to what I think was marine velvet. I even lost my mandarin. :-(

It happens in this hobby but I am glad you are gonna research before adding any questionable fish. We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up over it too bad.

Thanks.. Sorry to hear about your losses too. He was doing ok and i had him advertised on Gumtree to get him to a bigger tank as i didnt want him to die. He was victim 2 i think of the mass exodus
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,810
Somehow I think Ashley will be the first one to chime in when someone posts a new thread about wanting to get a moorish idol,...as stated above we all make some errors here in judgement and in other areas and hopefully we can learn from our and other's mishaps . Sorry about the loses Ashley,,.ill be snorkeling back in hawaii at the end of next month and ill think of you when i see one cruising over the reefs,..you rock girl!!!
__________________

__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.