Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Moorish Idol

Morays are resistant to many of the parasites that take out other fish. Everyone makes mistakes on fish selection sometimes, I just wish others would pay attention to mistakes forum member report and quit thinking they are immune to these problems. Some fish are virtually impossible to keep long term in an aquarium, even for experts with deep pockets. They should never have been collected in the first place. When the vast majority of people report problems with long term care of a type of fish, there is truth there that shouldn't be ignored.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Morays are resistant to many of the parasites that take out other fish. Everyone makes mistakes on fish selection sometimes, I just wish others would pay attention to mistakes forum member report and quit thinking they are immune to these problems. Some fish are virtually impossible to keep long term in an aquarium, even for experts with deep pockets. They should never have been collected in the first place. When the vast majority of people report problems with long term care of a type of fish, there is truth there that shouldn't be ignored.

+ 1 I agree with idols, should not have been captured to begin with.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agree. Guess i should have researched first. I spoke with the alleged expert who obviously told me what i needed to hear. I dont normally make unresearched purchases.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Moorish Idol

At least your not just trying too get another. Glad that your willing to step up and learn from it. Any updates or news on what happened to everyone??
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It is irresponsible for any LFS to offer a Idol to anyone they know is not prepared to care for it, tank size, feeding, etc. While it's not your fault, I think your idea of researching a bit more is right on. I carry my smart phone so I can look that fish or coral up while standing in the LFS.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that a responsible LFS should not do anything but special order fish like Moorish Idols, Achilles Tangs, etc. That almost forces the conversation of "Are you aware?"

I look stuff up on my phone all the time at my LFS. Sometimes even on fish I don't want, but am just wondering about.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry about your fish losses... I just lost 5 of my little fish to what I think was marine velvet. I even lost my mandarin. :-(

It happens in this hobby but I am glad you are gonna research before adding any questionable fish. We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up over it too bad.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
At least your not just trying too get another. Glad that your willing to step up and learn from it. Any updates or news on what happened to everyone??

No have no idea. Puffer doing ok. Cant believe moray ate my clowns i thought they were too big
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Sorry about your fish losses... I just lost 5 of my little fish to what I think was marine velvet. I even lost my mandarin. :-(

It happens in this hobby but I am glad you are gonna research before adding any questionable fish. We all make mistakes so dont beat yourself up over it too bad.

Thanks.. Sorry to hear about your losses too. He was doing ok and i had him advertised on Gumtree to get him to a bigger tank as i didnt want him to die. He was victim 2 i think of the mass exodus
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Somehow I think Ashley will be the first one to chime in when someone posts a new thread about wanting to get a moorish idol,...as stated above we all make some errors here in judgement and in other areas and hopefully we can learn from our and other's mishaps . Sorry about the loses Ashley,,.ill be snorkeling back in hawaii at the end of next month and ill think of you when i see one cruising over the reefs,..you rock girl!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com