Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are considered "expert only" and they don't acclimate to home aquariums very well. Difficult to get to eat, so make sure it is eating at the LFS prior to purchasing.

They are considered "expert only" and they don't acclimate to home aquariums very well. Difficult to get to eat, so make sure it is eating at the LFS prior to purchasing.

+1
They tend to waste away over time even when eating. It is usually recommended they have a huge tank with a huge amount of live rock so they can graze continuously and feed naturally. Lots of algae and sponges for a diet as well as meaty foods like clam, scallop, etc

60069-albums10534-picture64350.png

60069-albums10534-picture64349.png

The Moorish Idol is also commonly known in Hawaii as "Kihikihi" which means "curves," "corners," or "zigzags," and refers to its shape and color pattern. It is the only member of the family Zanclidae, and a very close relative of the Tangs or Surgeonfish. One of the most widespread fish, it can be found throughout the Indian Ocean, Red Sea, and all of the tropical Pacific. Wild specimens can attain a length of 7 inches, but 4 inches is more likely in the aquarium. The Moorish Idol tends to be very peaceful. Due to its size, schooling nature, and need for swimming space, it requires a large aquarium of at least 125 gallons. As its beauty is most evident while swimming, giving it adequate room is well rewarded. It is compatible with most fish and larger invertebrates, but should not be kept with any polyps or corals, which it will eat. Small invertebrates may be threatened as well.
The Moorish Idol is a very difficult fish to feed. Live rock with large amounts of algae and sponges on which it can feed will help it acclimate. Then offer a varied diet of finely chopped meaty items, mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, Spirulina, and algae. It should be fed several times a day.
Perhaps the most graceful of all marine fish, for many hobbyists, it is also one of the most difficult fish to keep because it is so difficult to feed. For all but the most expert hobbyist, it is better admired in the ocean or in a public aquarium rather than in a home tank.

Two articles that give lots of good info. (Sorry, not sure how to link, but google them...

(1) Reconsidering The Moorish Idol on advancedaquarist.com

(2) Moorish Idol Care on Fishchannel.com

There are other sites with info if you search. They all pretty much agree that unless you get a healthy specimen that you have observed at your LFS for weeks, there is a very small chance of survival. Keep that in mind before buying and better yet, but a Henniocus Butterfly...similar in appearance , but much better odds if making it.

From what I've heard, moorish idols collected around hawaii are a bit hardier

After seeing a ton of 'em grazing over the reefs in Hawaii and watching them and their actions,..IMHO I wouldn't even consider keeping one let alone in anything smaller other say a 300 gallon tank,....I think as most here have kinda said,..it's prob one of those species that is best left alone in their native waters .

Agreed. "Expert-only" plus all the articles out there that talk about how they are nearly impossible to keep alive (even by experts) should scare most people away. Go with a Heniochus Butterfly...same basic look, but "Easy" to care for. ..(although I never have luck with Butterflies ).

My avatar is a Idol I photographed in Hawaii. As everyone mentioned even very experienced hobbiest with huge tanks have trouble with them.

My avatar is a Idol I photographed in Hawaii. As everyone mentioned even very experienced hobbiest with huge tanks have trouble with them.

I knew you'd chime in greg ,(especially with that avatar) lol ,...Prob one of the most stunning of all the reef fishes in Hawaii , beautiful and graceful,... I could see why people may want one but realistically not very feasible

I started a thread on this a few months back. It's a magnificent fish, but it's very picky and does better in schools. Stick with Heniochus butterflys instead....

Wow... Just realized that this was asking for advice because that Moorish Idol was already purchased. Sounds like in a 3' tank with a Harlequin Tusk?

Please keep us posted on how it does.

Wow... Just realized that this was asking for advice because that Moorish Idol was already purchased. Sounds like in a 3' tank with a Harlequin Tusk? Please keep us posted on how it does.
I think the OP was asking advice on this fish. I didn't see where it was purchased already. If so, it isn't an easy fish, so I wish all the best.

I think the OP was asking advice on this fish. I didn't see where it was purchased already. If so, it isn't an easy fish, so I wish all the best.
There is a 12/2/13 post by OP (Harlequin Tusk Fish) showing a picture of an Idol and saying it was added as a tankmate for the Tusk. A little earlier in the thread, something about a Lionfish eating a new Clown. I'm hoping they are not all in a 3' tank or there is big trouble.

After seeing a ton of 'em grazing over the reefs in Hawaii and watching them and their actions,..IMHO I wouldn't even consider keeping one let alone in anything smaller other say a 300 gallon tank,....I think as most here have kinda said,..it's prob one of those species that is best left alone in their native waters .

I didnt catch it i bought it From the LFS

Wow... Just realized that this was asking for advice because that Moorish Idol was already purchased. Sounds like in a 3' tank with a Harlequin Tusk? Please keep us posted on how it does.

4ft tank..

4ft tank..

Ashley, my only recommendation is to be a bit more realistic about what you can keep healthy in a 4' tank. Some of the creatures you are attracted to just won't be happy or survive in a tank of this size. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of other fish that will think your tank is a castle. Like the rest of us, one day you can plan to have that big tank, but even then there will be limitations.

Ashley, my only recommendation is to be a bit more realistic about what you can keep healthy in a 4' tank. Some of the creatures you are attracted to just won't be happy or survive in a tank of this size. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of other fish that will think your tank is a castle. Like the rest of us, one day you can plan to have that big tank, but even then there will be limitations.

Guess we will se how he goes

Back
Top Bottom