More fiji rock on the way today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys so I have 30 more pounds of Fiji rock coming today including the Emp Angel. Do I need to quarentine the rock even if it's cured already? Probably since there was die off during shipment. Or would a good scrub and shake around fresh saltwater due since it's cured already?

Steve

Well i know that on most sites they say that even though the rock is cured already, it is best to cure it again and see if any die-off occurs. At the very least scrub it down and rinse it with saltwater.

So if I decide to quarentine I'll use a 20 gallon rubbermaid container, fill it with saltwater, use a pump to move water and leave the rock in for about a week or two? How long should I let it cure?

Steve

You should be good when your ammonia and nitrites are 0. To help it along, put a cured rock and or substrate from your DT in with the new rock this should help speed up the process. It's almost the same process as cycling your tank.

Hey Steve,
May I ask who your ordered the rock from? I'm looking for an online supplier and just curious how your experience was/is.

Oh yeah I've ordered three times from this person on Ebay. Wonderful transactions I've had with them. It's actually from two different people but they're both wonderful.

I got 100 pounds of live rock for $200 with shipping just about a month ago. Rock came in the mail wonderful package job, already (supposedly cured) and now it's going on a month I've had my live rock and it's doing just fabulous. That rock would've costed me probably at least $500 at my LFS, I probably saved over $400 and the Fiji rock I have here is just as good if not BETTER then my LFS.

And now I have 30 pounds coming today from Ebay again, here are links to the pages I bought rock from:

Fiji Live Rock - Premium Grade By the Pound - eBay (item 200366605604 end time Aug-23-09 17:03:35 PDT)

50lbs of Walt Smith Live Rock - eBay (item 180369090243 end time Jul-27-09 17:13:13 PDT)

Steve

The live rock is here, I have it in a 10 gallon rubbermaid container with fresh saltwater with a power head going. How often do I need to check the water?

Steve

Do you have the sellers name ,I might try them out. The links are expired..
Always cure mail order live rock.

Good idea curing it. It might have been cured when it was with them but during shipping it will have die off and need to be cured. Read our article on curingLR in our article section.

It's been soaking in a 10 gallon rubbermaid container and the rock seems to be coming along very nice. The first day I dipped it in water and gave it a real nice scrub down. Now I have it in the rubbermaid container soaking and I think it's ready to go in the tank now! It was cured already according the the seller on Ebay, so I think 4 days was good enough, right? I examined it just now and it seems good to go.
I can't have to much rock in my refugium right?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom