Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Listen to Kurt mike. I was like you at the beginning and learned to be patient. you dont want your money going to waste. i have a Seaclone only because it was free. Take it back, you are going to need to tweak it alot. i had to tweak it for a few days and even then i still had bubbles in my tank. in the end i had to add a piece of filter to the return of the skimmer. After all the tweaks it gets the job done but it shouldnt be a part time job to get it to work right.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

sry if i didn't listen about the skimmer guys,... it was just that my budget was around $100 and everybody keeps telling me to get aquaC remora pro and i think that its too much...( though its probably really effective)... also I am actually slowing down on it and I will get live rocks first before i start... though i will probably die on boredom during cycle, I think that is the time I'm actually research closely for everythiing i need to know about SW... once again, thanks and apologies for mistake

Old 05-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
I used a product called cycle which actually helps with the cycling process of your tank and you can even add beneficial bacteria which will speed up the process.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3epanda
though i will probably die on boredom during cycle
I doubt that, it will give you time to save some cash, learn how the cycle works and soon you will be able to help other new members with their tanks.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
I used a product called cycle which actually helps with the cycling process of your tank and you can even add beneficial bacteria which will speed up the process.
That is for fresh water and it really does not work it is a snake oil so to speak ... On a budget of 100 dollars you can get a couple basic things such as a tank (depending on size) filtration and power heads . Again that depends on your tank size !
For us we rushed and we crashed and burned , my husband said if I wanted a salt tank then I needed to cool it because we were putting cash in the trash . He made me sit down and take all the reciepts of everything bought and add it up I cried , then he made me read and read and read ! He made me join up on sites to learn the pros and cons before another drop of water was in the tank . The tank set empty for over 8 weeks in our living room . Yes there will be failures in this hobby but those will teach you so it is not a moot point . So after all was said and done we went through hours of reading and going through the equipment we had , salvaged what could be used trashed the rest ! Then every 2 weeks from a list I bought 1 or 2 things for the tank till I had at the least the basics , I did not have a reef so lighting was not a major point yet, but a few months (almost a year later) we went reef so I saved and saved and got a light to work for our system , now while it is a PC light (before any one jumps on me for pc only it is a nano tank.) I was then ready for a reef , I can honestly say if I had all the money I spent with the first failures I would have alot more corals ....in this hobby slow and steady wins the race ! You need to take responsibilty for the system you are about to endevor on and know that you can successfuly handle it good and bad. My tanks have been up for close to 3 years now (or a bit longer ) they are quite stable so I do my monthly testing ,once your tank is up and running stable for a year then you options are limmited to your imagination I have learned to read my tanks inhibitants so that if something seems off it probably is I automatically prep for a water change and test , this has prevented full fledged crashes ! If you can honestly say you cant you are not ready , studing up and slowly making purchaces is the easiest on your wallet and makes the rewards all that more sweet ! I am currently going to redo my one nano and then possibly my pico, but I have a plan should I grow sick of one or both I can move them to one or the other tanks safely . Remember only slow and steady will win this race , other wise you are likely to stumble fall and curse the hobby all together , it is a great hobby with big pay offs but it will not happen over night guaranteed !Patients and listening dont seem to be one of your strong points it wasnt one of mine either but I learned oh I learned .Now you have some cash in the trash with stuff that is sub par and will need replaced sooner than later .
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

The cycle i have is for saltwater.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If money is an issue, I would not waste any on "quick cycle" products like this. Trust me, they do nothing to prepare the tank for long-term habitaion and do not compare to a good old fashion 6 week cycle.

Mike, you have been given some very good advice here. If you want to keep the SeaClone, go for it. IMHO, it is better then nothing but you will have wished you saved up and got something better down the road. As far as the CC goes...cut your loses and get some sand. You do not need to purchase LS in a bag. Dry sand from the LFS or aragonite based play sand from the local home inprovemement center will do fine (its about $5 for a 50lb bag). We are trying to help you do things right from the begining to save you heart ache and trouble down the raod.
Quote:
About the powerheads...the one that im going use will be fine because they are actually pretty strong and i will use 2 of them...
What are you using? The problem with HOB filters is that they do not give you the option to direct a more concentrated flow anywhere in the tank. While they may add additional surface flow, powerheads are a much better option.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

whoa... great advices.... Yes I thought of it that way (seaclone is better than nothing)..

also the powerheads that I have are both from a different country so it s unknown..
it is
Precision PF-9500
AC 220V/60hz 18w
Hmax: 1.1
Qmax: 1200 L/H

U guys think 2 of those is good enough for a powerhead? I'll try to send pics later (still looking for my camera)

About the CC, I am getting some sand soon so this shouldn't be a problem

CYCLE- so doing the old 6 weeks cycle is great... am I suppose to start that with LR?... somebody told me to put a deli shrimp in the tank so bacterias starts to grow.... is tat true?... do i have to put any to start with?... or do they just come out of nowhere?

thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

that is a much safer way to cycle your tank than using live fish.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #20
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=15

Cycle info

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com