Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now that we are on the subject of live sand. My LFS guy told me that i should add some live sand (not from the bag, 2.99 a pound) to seed my sand and live rock.
I started a 90 gallon with uncured rock (100 pounds), which i doubt had any live stuff when i put it in the tank (i studidly rinsed half of the live rock with freshwater).
I only have 75 pounds of sand, should i add more live sand from the LFS, or is the sand that i have in there good enough.
The guy told me that if i want to have a reef tank i should have at least a 4" sand bed.
Any input?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
is back to save the day!

Here we go again with these lfs people..

First off, hes right on how live sand NOT from a bag will seed your rock, AND your sand. But about the depth... NO. You dont NEED 4" for a reef lol. I've seen some bare bottom reef tanks, so i would think that you can have however much sand you want. It is all going to depend on whether you have livestock that like to burrow IN the sand, or not.. Then you will need a decent amount of sand for their needs. 2" or more, depending on what animals ofcourse. Usually gobies like 3" or more, but i hear that they will pile sand up to suit their needs.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Here we go again with these lfs people..

First off, hes right on how live sand NOT from a bag will seed your rock, AND your sand. But about the depth... NO. You dont NEED 4" for a reef lol. I've seen some bare bottom reef tanks, so i would think that you can have however much sand you want. It is all going to depend on whether you have livestock that like to burrow IN the sand, or not.. Then you will need a decent amount of sand for their needs. 2" or more, depending on what animals ofcourse. Usually gobies like 3" or more, but i hear that they will pile sand up to suit their needs.

Would it be safe if i add about 10 gounds of live sand to my tank. I have livestock in there already. i think i want to add some sand to seed my rock and sand, or should i just leave it alone and let it do it on it's own?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
is back to save the day!

No it would be perfectly safe to add 10lbs of live sand to your tank. Thats how people get base rock to become live quicker. As well as sand, to become live sand.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes adding the sand is fine. But it does matter how deep it is. If your sand bed gets to deep, (more than 5" or so) you start to get into anaerobic conditions where the sand doesnt get any oxygen and starts to build up nitrogen pockets. So you introduce the plenum system. Which can be beneficial. If you do go deep just make sure you have some sand sifting creatures in there.
DeepSandBeds
Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
is back to save the day!

Yeap. Great link jessicasmarine. I didnt mean, however deep you want it as in like a 10" sand bed xD Within reason should be fine for sandbeds. My sand bed is at a depth of 2" in some places and 3" in others.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

haha...10" sand bed would take up half a tank there'd better be an underwater mole in there...lol
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
is back to save the day!

ROFL! Underwater moles XD Wonder if they have those. haha
Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

wow... i was reading this post and saw your conversation, i cant help but laugh... especially that picture zack... priceless

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com