More sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4127john

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have shallow sandbed for my 20 gallon tank that has an 20 pounds of sand. Would it be okay if I added an extra 20 pounds of sand to create a deep sandbed.

Yes! A deep sandbed is very good to have. I have 35 pounds in my 20 gallon.

Do you have fish and rock? If so I don't think the fish would like the sand through their gills and you would have to remove your rock or they would be covered.

Honestly the only thing I'd be worried about it harming/stressing the fish.

You could always try putting them in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with the water in your tank, put the heater in it and then add the sand. Wait until it settles some or completely then add the water back again.
If you try that, make sure to put the bag of sand all the way to the bottom of the tank and slowly let it pour out, it will limit the cloudiness.

It would take quite a while, but you could add a cupful at a time by putting the cup all the way to the bottom and slowly pour it out. Never tried this, but it shouldn't cloud up too much that way.

You CAN add sand with fish in

This can actually become a must if your live sand calcifies. Here's how I succeeded- sectioned off into 6 squares, use your fingers and ruffle the sand that is in there, remove clumps over the size of a quarter, do 1 section then use a cup, pack the sand in, keep it standing upright until ready to fill in the section you "refreshed", do a 10% water change wait 2-3 days do the next section, repeat process. Resist the urge to use clarifiers, stabilizer by seachem, api quick start and nutrafin cycle in moderation and phos-no if you see your worms dying you probably have a phosphate issue due to mixing up the old sand, this will happen much sooner than your fish are effected and can save your sanity and $- rock born CUC like bristle worms cost nothing and a simple dose of phos no will help get you back on track. I added 20 more lbs of live sand and rock, lol, because a phosphate problem and 30lbs more macro algae encrusted live rock, did this with my saltwater green spotted puffer. Oh and (y) dsb tanks rule!!

oh yea!!

One more thing- Add your water slowly through the filter when replacing the water

You could always try putting them in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with the water in your tank, put the heater in it and then add the sand. Wait until it settles some or completely then add the water back again.
If you try that, make sure to put the bag of sand all the way to the bottom of the tank and slowly let it pour out, it will limit the cloudiness.QUOTE]

This is another method I have heard works, but have not used it...

I remember the my tank cloudiness lasted for three days

Mine only lasted for two hours. I had the Fluval 206 filter and when I turned it on, it cleared it right up after I had poured it. I have 60 pounds in a 29 gallon tank all live sand.

Mine only lasted for two hours. I had the Fluval 206 filter and when I turned it on, it cleared it right up after I had poured it. I have 60 pounds in a 29 gallon tank all live sand.

The amount of live rock you have and the fact that you use live sand definitely helped you there

Back
Top Bottom