morning surprise, GIANT bristleworm! any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aa777rob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i came out this morning, turned on the lights in the tank to wake everyone up, and about 10 mins later i see a GIANT bristleworm making his way across the bottom of the tank!!! he's probably 12" as is. my question is, is there any benefit to these guys? and if so, do you want it?! i cant stand the sight of the **** thing but if someone could enjoy having this monster, and you're in Dallas, you can have it. if not, he'll meet his demise down the toilet later.

I don't think it's a bristle worm. It might be a coral eating fire worm. Happen to get any pics?
Bristle worms are ok, fire worms not so much.
Anyone else?

aa777rob said:
i came out this morning, turned on the lights in the tank to wake everyone up, and about 10 mins later i see a GIANT bristleworm making his way across the bottom of the tank!!! he's probably 12" as is. my question is, is there any benefit to these guys? and if so, do you want it?! i cant stand the sight of the **** thing but if someone could enjoy having this monster, and you're in Dallas, you can have it. if not, he'll meet his demise down the toilet later.

That's a huge bristle worm!!!! I saw a YouTube video once of a huge bristle worm popping out and snagging a snail. After that, I decided to get my coral banded shrimp (supposedly they eat them but not on that large of a scale). If he is that big, I wouldn't leave him in my tank but there are people who I'm sure will disagree. While people like them because they can eat waste and sift through sand, you have to remember that they will eat just about anything. That big of a worm might not be beneficial. Personally, I hate them. I will take starfish, crabs, snails, shrimp...pretty much anything over bristle worms though! :D. I vote to get it out and flush it! LOL!

i think i attached it, isnt the best pic but will get a better one in a bit...i'll have to take the bag out of the water and get a better pic. if i dont get attacked!

Attachments

• worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 312
here's a little better pic of it

Attachments

• worm2.jpg
    worm2.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 328
If I lived near you I'd take it and throw it in my aggressive tank. He wouldn't make it more than a quarter of the way down before my Huma or Lunar Wrasse would destroy it! Then again that worm looks like it belongs in a predator tank! Lol

he was under a flat rock in the center of the tank, i scrabmled and got a wire net and bent the handle 90 degrees, pulled him out then got him with a net. into the bag he went. id love to see someone do something with him, more than me flushing him away. i just want to know where the hell he was all this time!

Give it to a LFS. That's a beast that needs a home. A little large for the adverage home aquarium but I'm sure someone could give it a good home.

That thing is SO creepy!! To think that huge thing was in your tank all this time and you didn't know it....that's creepy!!!! Good thing you got it out, although not sure I could have done it!! :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Eat it, thats some good protein ;)

ROFL!! I would scream like a little girl if someone put that bag in front of me! Not kidding...SCURD! Ok, see...this is why I do NOT want worms in my tank!

What the heck is that thing???? Is it a fire worm?

I think I'd shoot it and throw it in the fire place or something. That thing would freak me out and I would be scared it would crawl back up and attack the ol' balloon knot if I flushed it!!!

That's right! The circle of life!!!! I do that with my aggressive tank! If a fish does in my community tank, it always ends up having its funeral in the mouth of my Huma! Lol

Back
Top Bottom