moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelinafay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have this green moss in my tank, it has spread to all my rocks and gets quite bad sometimes, i just cleaned my tank and trimmed the moss down. i have nothing else growing on my rocks since the moss took over, it there a chemical to get rid of it? i attached a picture!

Attachments

• Project4.jpg
    Project4.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 67
That is most likely hair algae or bryopsis algae. Things that help with algae is light reduction or new bulbs, water flow, RO water, reduced nitrates and phosphates.

Well, it's actually pretty hard to tell from the picture, but as goes with all unwanted algae.. they thrive off of mainly nitrates and excess nutrients in the water. Your best bet to get rid of almost all your bad types of algae, would be to get a good type of algae, that grows like a weed and uses up any excess nutrients in the water column. And that would be macroalgae. Better known as chaeto. I've seen chaeto work wonders for people with bad algae problems. Do you have a sump or a refugium you could put chaeto in? If not, you can just do what i did, and tie big chunks of it to a piece of rock in your tank. It grows pretty fast, so you would just have to trim it down. But it's way better than having overgrowing bad algae on your hands. Are you using regular tap water or RO water? Because most of the time there are high nitrates in tap water, which would be aiding to the growth of that algae. And again, please, for the sake of your system, use chemicals as a last, last, resort. Some chemicals could really screw up your system. Even then, you wouldn't be eliminating the problems(in this case the excess nutrients in the water) you would just be masking them for a while, and they will always keep coming back.

Back
Top Bottom