Moveing on up !¡

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidward

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I currently have a 36 bow front fowlr. I have about 35lb lr , hippo tang, yellow tang , clown fish , sleeper goby. Im getting a 125 gl ,my question is do i need to cycle the second canister filter im going to get ?

Just keep your old filter on the new tank plus the second canister filter. Just let them both run for a while together. I'm not exactly sure how long you should keep the old one running but I'm sure somebody will come along and can answer that :)

Glad to hear you are getting a larger tank for your fish sake, your probably going to increase your LR also, each time you change something in your tanks filtration, bioload, and chemistry do water test and that will tell you how your tank is responding to the changes. Advice is good, but there are so many variables that only you will see them each day. If you run into something that is so far out of touch with what you know, post it and give us a shot at it. Good luck with the upgrade.

i personally suggest looking into getting a sump/fuge for such a large tank. It will do more filtering and not become a nitrate factory like the canisters

i agree with getting more live rock. i wouldn't even buy a 2nd cannister filter. just cycle the big tank completely with the new rock in it and then move everything over when that's done. get a couple power heads to move water inside the tank and you're done.

you don't need either. i would rather have a sump so that equipment can be put in it and a better skimmer can be purchased, but you can do without it.
i would just keep the cannister filter you have now and use it for carbon.
live rock and a good protein skimmer are all the filtration you need if you stock and feed reasonably.

Back
Top Bottom