Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Moving

I have a co-worker who may be selling his 75 gallon FOWLR. It is completely set up and running and has 2 clowns and a damsel. I was just wondering if anybody has any previous experience with moving a set up and if the fish will be ok with a move? Also, if there are any good tips for the process they would be helpful as well.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringfowlraries
I have a co-worker who may be selling his 75 gallon FOWLR. It is completely set up and running and has 2 clowns and a damsel. I was just wondering if anybody has any previous experience with moving a set up and if the fish will be ok with a move? Also, if there are any good tips for the process they would be helpful as well.
I've always heard it's easiest to get a bunch of 5-10 gal buckets for the live stock. Probably one for the sand. A big box for all the LR should work. And then I'd jut empty the rest of the water, set up the tank with sand LR and new saltwater then acclimate the fish and put them in like new... Unless you can transport a ton of water or buy 8 ten gal buckets.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I moved a 55 reef and 125 SW FOWLR together once about 40 miles. Depending the distance you're going you can adjust. I put fish in buckets & ice chests with battery powered airstones. I drained tanks to the level I could safely carry with live rock inside it. These were acrylic tanks so not as heavy as glass. I transported all the water & filters and setup everything as is & did a PWC couple days later after I had moved all my stuff. Didn't Lise anything. Took about 6 hours total between draining water start and refilling.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, appreciate the advice. If I did decide to take the set up off his hands, it would only be about a 10 mile trip.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Careful with the sand cuz stirring it up can release lots of nasty stuff and mess up your water. If I were to do it again I would mix up new water ahead of time end do my PWC immediately. Try to not disturb the sand as much as possible especially if it's a DSB.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs
Careful with the sand cuz stirring it up can release lots of nasty stuff and mess up your water. If I were to do it again I would mix up new water ahead of time end do my PWC immediately. Try to not disturb the sand as much as possible especially if it's a DSB.
+1 on not disturbing the sandbed. I personally just opted out of that aspect and thoroughly cleaned the sand before putting it back in.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com