Moving 55gal to 75gal - ADVICE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wanted to toss out my "Plan" and see if anyone might have a better idea.

I've a new 75 GAL that I've cleaned out and rinsed and all ready to start adding things.

My 55gal has (Clown, Tang, 2 Damsels, 1 Shrimp, 40 Nass, 30 Cerith, 20 Marg snails) + 60lb LR and LS as well.

Step 1: Setup the 75gal with about 10lb of fresh sand. About 20-30 gal of new SW mix.
Step 2: Shutdown 15gal sump, migrate contents, overflow, skimmer to 75gal. (Leaving 55gal w/o those items)
Step 3: Migration of all the LS from 55gal to 75gal - WAIT until dust settles and move LR then.
Step 4: Migrate majority of SW from 55gal and when 1/2 full the FISH as well migrated.
Step 5: Toss the remaining water from 55gal.

Does anyone see any problems with this over say a 24 hour period? Plan on keeping a majority of the 55gal and 15gal sump water supply. Just doing a 20% water change at the same time.

Only concern is the snails not really having food. I was going to put some dry seaweed into the tank until growth happens on the glass. Second backup is picking up some fresh LR from the LFS since they always have excess growth my critters love when I get a new LR.

Thanks in advance. :)

Congratulations on the bigger tank :D. Your plan sounds good but moving the sand is going to be messy in the main and I’d personally just use mostly new sand in the new tank and only about 20% or so from the old to keep the dust cloud down. You only have about a 2” sand bed now if you have 60 lbs currently. I would also increase the sand bed closer to 4” in the new tank (about 160 lbs) while you’re at it which would help with denitrification.

It usually takes a good day or two and sometimes a week depending on the type of sand you get/have and I wouldn’t want my fish to have to be in either tank in such a stand storm.

I would also add the sand after you add the water through a 4” wide 20+” long PVC tube with the tube resting on the bottom and pour the sand, lift/move, and pour more until the bottom is covered. I’ve added sand to my tank this way and it cuts down on the sand storm considerably.

Matching the sg/ph/alk/temp is of course important but hard to get “perfect”. I’m mostly concerned about your 2 starfish which will need a long acclimation to the new tank. If you slightly lower your sg/ph in the new tank you should be able to quickly acclimate your fish. Hermits, snails, and shrimp will also require a slightly longer acclimation.

Once you remove your lr you also will be removing most of your bacterial base so transporting stock within 6 hours will be needed as well.

Thanks Tecwzrd. I totally forgot about how the star fish are going to react.

Actually to move the sand out of the old tank I just use the siphon. That way I don't stir up the sand in the existing tank. Only "potential" issue is sucking up a snail by accident.

Agreed the new 75gal will be a sand storm (less with your suggested method). But I usually use a PWHD with a white filter on it and just rinse it out every 30 minutes from the minute dust collection on it.

It's that fine "Marine" white sand. Really good stuff that I just love.

I'm thinking about keeping the SUMP as-is and relocate to the new tank. Not sure if that would help.

Goal is to keep my fish friends somewhat happy, but ALIVE at the same time. I've ZERO Tolerance for losing them due to something stupid on my part.

Kind of surprised you aren’t planning for a larger sump now that you have 17” wide to play with instead of the smaller 11” that the 55 stand has. Not that a 15 gal sump is too small.

If I get any sand caught in my siphon it clogs and is a pain to remove. Are you just filling up the larger tube and pulling it out? With the finer sand it may flow better for you though.

Not sure what PWHD stands for. Is that like a Vortex Diatom Filter? If so it will clear the tank within hours.

As long as you don’t rush the acclimation on the inverts you should be fine.

Shhh....

Actually the 55 GAL will become the new SUMP. I've not exactly updated the Mrs. on that master plan just yet, but if it's finally out of her dining room she is happy. :)

I'm just going to clean out a couple small strips so I can put some dividers into the 55 Gal.

Section 1: LR and water intake
Section 2: Skimmer area & Heaters (TBD 2nd one - Most likely once summer is over)
Section 3: Three Baffles to Sump Section
Section 4: Return Sump Pump to primary
Section 5: Refuge (Has small "T" Line off return) and overflows gradually into Sump Return.

Yes the sand is VERY FINE. I've more problems putting it BACK into the tank than getting it out. Biggest issue is keeping the NASS Snails from getting sucked into the pipe. Last time I had to cut a foot of pipe to free a really small guy that got wedged.

Well! It worked! No Fish, Invert or other casualties.

Took about 2 days longer than planned, but worth the extra effort.

Kept my STATS all identical and acclimated all the critters and fish at the same time. While having about 30 gals of SW pre-mixed I was able to gradually ADD SW to both Tanks and migrate older SW to the new tank as well.

Sorry that PWHD was "Powerhead" that one that has a quick connect cage on it. It's got that white filter that is awesome for cleaning up a tank of dirty / dusty and sandy stuff.

PRO's to this approach:
- Had same water quality when moving between tanks.
- Little bit bigger PWC but was okay.
- Able to reuse everything (Even the 55gal is going to be reused as a Sump)
- Didn't have to change the Skimmer settings at all.

CON's to this approach:
- Risky for the fishs! Shrimp, Starfish and BTA took the longest to migrate.
- Had to change the filter in the new tank about 15 times. (Rinse out sand / dirt combo)-

Congratulations on getting every thing moved over successfully :D The key thing is you planned it out.

That would be great if you could squeeze the 55 gal into the new stand, you could probably go a week or two without even having to top off.

New 75Gal Tank Setup and going

Thanks for your help TecWzrd

PIC of the new tank below. I love my acrylic painted background. Very DEEP and DARK just like the ocean. Looks so much more professional than that paper on the back.

Attachments

• img_0220_small_141.jpg
    img_0220_small_141.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 44
Tanks looks great and I love the painted background as well :D Now you just need some more lr since it’s looking kind of empty in the bigger tank.

Do a mix of live rock and base to save money.

One other thing. Be aware that I've met a number of people who add fish after a damsel is already there and it/the damsel becomes territorial and causes problems. So, you might think that one out before yu add a bunch of rock and then can't catch him. My 2 cents.

Tanks looks nice.

One other thing. Be aware that I've met a number of people who add fish after a damsel is already there and it/the damsel becomes territorial and causes problems.

I agree, my yellow tails aren't too aggresive, but my 3 stripes and Blue Devil make up for it.

I've got about 30 lbs of LR curing as we speak. Soon..... I just hate the waiting game. :)

Back
Top Bottom