Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Moving an Aquarium

I'm about to move and I'm looking for some good advice on moving my tank. (see my signature for details) It's about a 14 hour drive, not including breaks, so I may need to stay overnight somewhere.

55 gallon reef tank--Jaubert/Plenum live sand filtration with protein skimmer. Actinic lighting, 2x 295 gph pumps.
1 Purple Tang
2 PJ Cardinals
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Sea Hare (a short lived species)
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Pencil Urchin
1 Sand Sifter Star
Assorted hermit crabs & snails
Button Polyps
Green Mushroom coral
SpiffyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You need to keep at least half of your water. 5 gallon buckets work great. Your fish and inverts can go in one of them. Get a battery operated air pump from the sport fishing section at a store and drill a hole in the top of a bucket and run the air line to keep the water aerated for the fish. Maybe get some heat packs from walmart(the kind for your hands) and have them ready in very good ziploc bags in case the temp goes down. I guess the corals can go in one of the others. You probably don't need air for the corals. I suggest leaving as early in the morning as possible to keep the time down as much as possible. Remember, they ship them in bags on trucks for hours and hours and they don't seem to have much trouble with it. Plus it will take a while once you get there to reset up your tank.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com