Moving Invertebrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arsenalkt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I had an outbreak of ich in my tank so I moved my inverts out and QT them. Know I know many people think i shouldn't have done this but that's not the issue here (not trying to be *****y, i just don't want messages about using stuff in the main tank cause i know:), what I'm wondering is if I could move this inverts to another saltwater tank that I have or if it is possible that they could carry the ich to this tank?
thanks!

Inverts can't host ich. They can however carry the free swimming stage parasite from 1 tank to another. But once in the new tank, if the parasite doesn't find a new FISH host they will die.

You know that both copper treatments and hyposalinity will both kill your BB in your DT if treated there.

Do you think if I acclimate them and rinse them that the ich not spread to the new tank?

I would keep them in QT for six weeks just to be safe. You throw them into another tank and some of the Ich follows and finds a fish to host and you've got a whole new problem.

Keep an eye on parameters in your DT for the reason already given. You're going to have little or no biological filtration while treating your fish and then you are going to have to re-cycle with all of your fish exposed to ammonia and nitrites. If you had not thought it through, I sure would consider something like DR Tim's One & Only when it comes cycle time. A 5-7 day cycle is better than 5-7 weeks exposure.

Back
Top Bottom