Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

totally unnecessary, but knock yourself out.

Also, make sure you have a few good air pumps because your fish are gonna be in those buckets for a while. It's going to take forever for all that sand to settle....not to mention all the gunk you're gonna stir up may send your tank into mini-cycle.

Good luck !

Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucJason View Post
totally unnecessary, but knock yourself out.

Also, make sure you have a few good air pumps because your fish are gonna be in those buckets for a while. It's going to take forever for all that sand to settle....not to mention all the gunk you're gonna stir up may send your tank into mini-cycle.

Good luck !

When I condensed two 55s into one 120, it took about 24 hours to have everything settle, crystal clear. I added the fish back in once the salt and the temp were ok, about an hour after I filled the tank. It was so foggy I could not see the LR or any fish. I did not lose any fish / inverts. and they are not any worse for the wear.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 View Post
glad you guys arent moving my 120...
? ?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 View Post
When I condensed two 55s into one 120, it took about 24 hours to have everything settle, crystal clear. I added the fish back in once the salt and the temp were ok, about an hour after I filled the tank. It was so foggy I could not see the LR or any fish. I did not lose any fish / inverts. and they are not any worse for the wear.
IMO removing and replacing the sand causes the "fog". Also stirring up all the sand releases more nasties hiding in the sand and will cause the system to cycle.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
IMO removing and replacing the sand causes the "fog". Also stirring up all the sand releases more nasties hiding in the sand and will cause the system to cycle.
On the flip sign of the coin, that sand also contains some of your biological filter. I know it is advised here to replace your sand when you move tanks, but I have had good luck reusing the sand.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

okay, I didn't think about causing a cycle. i will see how heavy the tank is with the sand still in there. I only have myself and two teenagers to help move the tank. This is a major pain in the***
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long does it take the fog to settle? Is it okay to put the fish in before it does?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've heard people say they put thier fish in in the middle of a complete white-out sand storm and they survived, but the thought kinda scares me....i have some expensive fish that I'm also attached to and wouldn't want to risk stressing them that badly.

How long it will take to settle really depends on how much you stir up. You will also have to probably continuously rinse any mechanical filtration pads you have in your filter because it will keep getting filled with the sand as the filter pulls it through.

Like you said...moving a tank is going to be a pain regardless. That's why I recommended trying to leave the sand in place as the easiest way. You'll still have some stir up but it wont be near as bad and you won't throw tank into mini-cycle.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is going to stress your fish out anyway that you look at it.

I dont understand why everyone thinks this is going to cycle your tank, you already have a biological filter which is active in your tank, yes you are going to stir up some waste from the substrate, but you are not going to re-cycle your tank...

You might have a small peak but it will ge gone in a couple days.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to try to leave the sand in the tank. I have a 30g tank that I am considering putting te fish in until the main settles. It will be like putting them in a qt right? What do you think will be less srtessful for the fish? If I put them in buckets they won't have to go thru the stress of being caught again.I'll just pour them in gently.

Tags
moving, moving tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com