moving tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am needing to move my 125g tank from one side of the room to the other. What are your sugestions on the safest why to do this? I only have 3 fish right now, a powder blue tang, a foxface and one clown fish. I also have about 150lbs of lr and sand. This is my thinking removing the rock and water into new trash cans ( I will pump the water out of the tank with my power heads) and putting the fish in 5 gallon buckets ( the foxface by itself) Do I also need to remove the sand? Will it be to much stress on the tank to leave it during the move? After the tank is moved to where I want it, I am planning to put in the rock, add the original water and then the fish. Do the fish need to be acclimated. I am hoping this won't take more than an hour or so. Any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks

When I moved mine into another room I got these things called piano movers and got alot of the water out and then jacked the tank up which was about an inch and rolled it in to the other room and then added the water back in. My LFS had these piano movers so I cant tell you where to get them. I guess a moving company would have them.

I wouldn't remove the sand. Just lower the water down as low as you can without sucking sand. At that point it should be light enough for you and a few friends to move it.

Buy them all a 6 pack of beer because it will still be heavy. :p

Put your rocks back in before you put the water back in . That way you can pour over the rocks and not stir up as much sand.

I wouldn't remove the sand. Just lower the water down as low as you can without sucking sand. At that point it should be light enough for you and a few friends to move it.

Buy them all a 6 pack of beer because it will still be heavy. :p

Put your rocks back in before you put the water back in . That way you can pour over the rocks and not stir up as much sand.

That is going to put a ton of stress on that poor tank...

The tank is not alive... the fish, sand, and the live rock is. I think he's wanting to do this as quick and easy as possible.

the tank will be fine moving just across the room with a little water still in it.

The tank is not alive... the fish, sand, and the live rock is. I think he's wanting to do this as quick and easy as possible.

the tank will be fine moving just across the room with a little water still in it.

If the tank cracks, then the fish and the livestock will really be in trouble. Just my two cents...

I would remove all the rocks, then all the sand from one corner and siphon as much water out as possible from that same corner. If it's on carpet then wheels will help or more friends. I just moved my 30 gallon on a wood floor by myself with rock and canopy attached. If you can't pickup and hold up one end by yourself then remove more weight until you can. IMO what cracks tanks is having the stand off level when it's filled or trying to move them full or half full. The only reason to remove the sand or gravel is if it's too heavy. I have moved/owned every thing from a 1 gallon metal frame to a 240 gallon custom plexi and never damaged a tank while moving one.

Last edited:
I would remove all the rocks, then all the sand from one corner and siphon as much water out as possible from that same corner. If it's on carpet then wheels will help or more friends. I just moved my 30 gallon on a wood floor by myself with rock and canopy attached. If you can't pickup and hold up one end by yourself then remove more weight until you can. IMO what cracks tanks is having the stand off level when it's filled or trying to move them full or half full. The only reason to remove the sand or gravel is if it's too heavy. I have moved/owned every thing from a 1 gallon metal frame to a 240 gallon custom plexi and never damaged a tank while moving one.

I agree.

thanks for all the sugestions. i am gonna remove the sand or most of it. i don't want to take any chances. it ust means a little more dirty work.

totally unnecessary, but knock yourself out.

Also, make sure you have a few good air pumps because your fish are gonna be in those buckets for a while. It's going to take forever for all that sand to settle....not to mention all the gunk you're gonna stir up may send your tank into mini-cycle.

Good luck !

totally unnecessary, but knock yourself out.

Also, make sure you have a few good air pumps because your fish are gonna be in those buckets for a while. It's going to take forever for all that sand to settle....not to mention all the gunk you're gonna stir up may send your tank into mini-cycle.

Good luck !

When I condensed two 55s into one 120, it took about 24 hours to have everything settle, crystal clear. I added the fish back in once the salt and the temp were ok, about an hour after I filled the tank. It was so foggy I could not see the LR or any fish. I did not lose any fish / inverts. and they are not any worse for the wear.

recycle

When I condensed two 55s into one 120, it took about 24 hours to have everything settle, crystal clear. I added the fish back in once the salt and the temp were ok, about an hour after I filled the tank. It was so foggy I could not see the LR or any fish. I did not lose any fish / inverts. and they are not any worse for the wear.

IMO removing and replacing the sand causes the "fog". Also stirring up all the sand releases more nasties hiding in the sand and will cause the system to cycle.

IMO removing and replacing the sand causes the "fog". Also stirring up all the sand releases more nasties hiding in the sand and will cause the system to cycle.

On the flip sign of the coin, that sand also contains some of your biological filter. I know it is advised here to replace your sand when you move tanks, but I have had good luck reusing the sand.

okay, I didn't think about causing a cycle. i will see how heavy the tank is with the sand still in there. I only have myself and two teenagers to help move the tank. This is a major pain in the***

I've heard people say they put thier fish in in the middle of a complete white-out sand storm and they survived, but the thought kinda scares me....i have some expensive fish that I'm also attached to and wouldn't want to risk stressing them that badly.

How long it will take to settle really depends on how much you stir up. You will also have to probably continuously rinse any mechanical filtration pads you have in your filter because it will keep getting filled with the sand as the filter pulls it through.

Like you said...moving a tank is going to be a pain regardless. That's why I recommended trying to leave the sand in place as the easiest way. You'll still have some stir up but it wont be near as bad and you won't throw tank into mini-cycle.

This is going to stress your fish out anyway that you look at it.

I dont understand why everyone thinks this is going to cycle your tank, you already have a biological filter which is active in your tank, yes you are going to stir up some waste from the substrate, but you are not going to re-cycle your tank...

You might have a small peak but it will ge gone in a couple days.

I am going to try to leave the sand in the tank. I have a 30g tank that I am considering putting te fish in until the main settles. It will be like putting them in a qt right? What do you think will be less srtessful for the fish? If I put them in buckets they won't have to go thru the stress of being caught again.I'll just pour them in gently.

Back
Top Bottom