Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

moving tank

I am needing to move my 125g tank from one side of the room to the other. What are your sugestions on the safest why to do this? I only have 3 fish right now, a powder blue tang, a foxface and one clown fish. I also have about 150lbs of lr and sand. This is my thinking removing the rock and water into new trash cans ( I will pump the water out of the tank with my power heads) and putting the fish in 5 gallon buckets ( the foxface by itself) Do I also need to remove the sand? Will it be to much stress on the tank to leave it during the move? After the tank is moved to where I want it, I am planning to put in the rock, add the original water and then the fish. Do the fish need to be acclimated. I am hoping this won't take more than an hour or so. Any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 12-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

When I moved mine into another room I got these things called piano movers and got alot of the water out and then jacked the tank up which was about an inch and rolled it in to the other room and then added the water back in. My LFS had these piano movers so I cant tell you where to get them. I guess a moving company would have them.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldn't remove the sand. Just lower the water down as low as you can without sucking sand. At that point it should be light enough for you and a few friends to move it.

Buy them all a 6 pack of beer because it will still be heavy. :p

Put your rocks back in before you put the water back in . That way you can pour over the rocks and not stir up as much sand.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucJason View Post
I wouldn't remove the sand. Just lower the water down as low as you can without sucking sand. At that point it should be light enough for you and a few friends to move it.

Buy them all a 6 pack of beer because it will still be heavy. :p

Put your rocks back in before you put the water back in . That way you can pour over the rocks and not stir up as much sand.
That is going to put a ton of stress on that poor tank...
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

The tank is not alive... the fish, sand, and the live rock is. I think he's wanting to do this as quick and easy as possible.

the tank will be fine moving just across the room with a little water still in it.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
The tank is not alive... the fish, sand, and the live rock is. I think he's wanting to do this as quick and easy as possible.

the tank will be fine moving just across the room with a little water still in it.

If the tank cracks, then the fish and the livestock will really be in trouble. Just my two cents...
Old 12-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I would remove all the rocks, then all the sand from one corner and siphon as much water out as possible from that same corner. If it's on carpet then wheels will help or more friends. I just moved my 30 gallon on a wood floor by myself with rock and canopy attached. If you can't pickup and hold up one end by yourself then remove more weight until you can. IMO what cracks tanks is having the stand off level when it's filled or trying to move them full or half full. The only reason to remove the sand or gravel is if it's too heavy. I have moved/owned every thing from a 1 gallon metal frame to a 240 gallon custom plexi and never damaged a tank while moving one.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
I would remove all the rocks, then all the sand from one corner and siphon as much water out as possible from that same corner. If it's on carpet then wheels will help or more friends. I just moved my 30 gallon on a wood floor by myself with rock and canopy attached. If you can't pickup and hold up one end by yourself then remove more weight until you can. IMO what cracks tanks is having the stand off level when it's filled or trying to move them full or half full. The only reason to remove the sand or gravel is if it's too heavy. I have moved/owned every thing from a 1 gallon metal frame to a 240 gallon custom plexi and never damaged a tank while moving one.
I agree.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I agree.

Glad you guys arent moving my 120...
Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for all the sugestions. i am gonna remove the sand or most of it. i don't want to take any chances. it ust means a little more dirty work.

Tags
moving, moving tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com