my 2 clown fish wont stop fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just get 2 clown fish and the big one wont stop hitting the small one ..
what can i do ?
thx

Did you buy them from different tanks? You may have 2 females or 2 males if that is true. They'll either fight for a while and the bigger one will assume the dominant/female role and all will settle down, or the little one will die... or break out with some disease. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Two clowns in that size tank will fight like cats and dogs. Unless they are a mated pair they will continue to fight. Try turning the lights off for a few hours and then move some rock around. What kind are they?

yea they from different tank & its 2 Amphiprion ocellaris

when you bought them were they the only clown fish in that tank there's a good chance both is female

If there is not a real big size difference it may be the two fighting for domininance. Watch them carefully. If the smaller one is starting to look bad (torn fins or signs of damage, cowering in a corner, starting to show signs of illness) then you should get one out of there. There is often aggression between clowns establishing which will be female. Unfortunatly in a tank that size there is not a lot of space for the smaller to keep out of sight until they work out thier differences.

thx everyone for Ur help and care & yes Pat the smaller one is starting to look bad & had damage in his fins and cowering in one corner, so i just send it back to the PS and keeping one of them for now ,is it aright to keep one only ?

Danny

Back
Top Bottom