My 55 rebuild!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so after a terrible cyano algae outbreak i tore apart my 55. Im rethinking the hole thing. My buddy keeps pushing me for bare bottom. How does it look on a bigger tank? I would paint the back and bottom with krylon fusion. All id be running for filtration would be my hob red sea prizm skimmer and 2-3 hydor koralia 3s. Will this suffice?

Imo you shoulda stuck it out because its not uncommon for a new tank to go thru it..I know I did and after about a week or 2 it vanished as fast as it appeared

Mrc8858 said:
Imo you shoulda stuck it out because its not uncommon for a new tank to go thru it..I know I did and after about a week or 2 it vanished as fast as it appeared

I had it for about 2 months... scrapped sifted and water changes and nothing improved. Come to find out canister filters are nitrate factories. I shoulda done better maintenance with my canister but in the end i just couldnt take it...

So, many ideas swirling in this thing i call a brain..........

1st- my ten gal plastic bowfront, transferring everything over to a glass 10 gal. Gonna run skimmer and ph only.

2nd- 55 fowlr is FOR NOW gonna get the cascade 1000 or fluval 305 someone make up my mind for me.

3rd- 55 fw tank is gonna get either the fluval or cascade. It gets the left overs of whatever's left. Lol someone shed some light down this tunnel....

Just save up and do it right! :) Sump, In sump Skimmer, drilled Overflow, and ditch the idea of canisters. You will have better luck I guarantee it. Two K3's will be enough for FOWLR not quite enough if you go reef. I'd go three K3s TBH.

As far as BB, it's a personally choice really. I don't mind the looks of BB on tanks and I hear it's easier to clean up. I just prefer the look more with a small bed of sand.

Are you a GIRS member??? I just seen that you are in CR.

iadubber said:
Just save up and do it right! :) Sump, In sump Skimmer, drilled Overflow, and ditch the idea of canisters. You will have better luck I guarantee it. Two K3's will be enough for FOWLR not quite enough if you go reef. I'd go three K3s TBH.

As far as BB, it's a personally choice really. I don't mind the looks of BB on tanks and I hear it's easier to clean up. I just prefer the look more with a small bed of sand.

Are you a GIRS member??? I just seen that you are in CR.

I am a girs member. Same screen name. My problem is, saving up for something just doesnt happen... ill start but then blam, there went the savings. I prefer sand as well but sand is just one more thing that can produce nitrates and bad crap...

So a little update. Im gettin a sump and pump for a great deal! Its an oceanic sump model 1 and a rio 1100. How do i go about setting up the sump? Heres a pic of the sump. I also need to look into a hob overflow. My buddy told me my glass is all tempered so i cant drill...

sump.jpg

Let me know ur thoughts! Thanks all

If i could redo my 55g it would be atleast a 75g. A 55g is hard to aquascape. For a sump I have a 20g long. No refugium just skimmer, return pump, heater, and 2 phosban reactors hanging on the side. I agree that you should have just stuck it out cause all tanks go through algae issues until its cycled and balanced. I also agree with saving up and doing it right. It will cost you less in the long run

Well a little update. I got a hob overflow for $5 and scored a 175w 2 bulb metal halide retrofit with 2 36" vho light. All for $15!!! I got my sump set up and my return pump bought. I got a brand new quiet one 4000 for $30! I should be back up and running soon!

Back
Top Bottom