Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My 55 rebuild!

so after a terrible cyano algae outbreak i tore apart my 55. Im rethinking the hole thing. My buddy keeps pushing me for bare bottom. How does it look on a bigger tank? I would paint the back and bottom with krylon fusion. All id be running for filtration would be my hob red sea prizm skimmer and 2-3 hydor koralia 3s. Will this suffice?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Imo you shoulda stuck it out because its not uncommon for a new tank to go thru it..I know I did and after about a week or 2 it vanished as fast as it appeared

Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Imo you shoulda stuck it out because its not uncommon for a new tank to go thru it..I know I did and after about a week or 2 it vanished as fast as it appeared
I had it for about 2 months... scrapped sifted and water changes and nothing improved. Come to find out canister filters are nitrate factories. I shoulda done better maintenance with my canister but in the end i just couldnt take it...
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So, many ideas swirling in this thing i call a brain..........

1st- my ten gal plastic bowfront, transferring everything over to a glass 10 gal. Gonna run skimmer and ph only.

2nd- 55 fowlr is FOR NOW gonna get the cascade 1000 or fluval 305 someone make up my mind for me.

3rd- 55 fw tank is gonna get either the fluval or cascade. It gets the left overs of whatever's left. Lol someone shed some light down this tunnel....
Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just save up and do it right! Sump, In sump Skimmer, drilled Overflow, and ditch the idea of canisters. You will have better luck I guarantee it. Two K3's will be enough for FOWLR not quite enough if you go reef. I'd go three K3s TBH.

As far as BB, it's a personally choice really. I don't mind the looks of BB on tanks and I hear it's easier to clean up. I just prefer the look more with a small bed of sand.

Are you a GIRS member??? I just seen that you are in CR.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadubber
Just save up and do it right! Sump, In sump Skimmer, drilled Overflow, and ditch the idea of canisters. You will have better luck I guarantee it. Two K3's will be enough for FOWLR not quite enough if you go reef. I'd go three K3s TBH.

As far as BB, it's a personally choice really. I don't mind the looks of BB on tanks and I hear it's easier to clean up. I just prefer the look more with a small bed of sand.

Are you a GIRS member??? I just seen that you are in CR.
I am a girs member. Same screen name. My problem is, saving up for something just doesnt happen... ill start but then blam, there went the savings. I prefer sand as well but sand is just one more thing that can produce nitrates and bad crap...
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So a little update. Im gettin a sump and pump for a great deal! Its an oceanic sump model 1 and a rio 1100. How do i go about setting up the sump? Heres a pic of the sump. I also need to look into a hob overflow. My buddy told me my glass is all tempered so i cant drill...

Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	80729

Let me know ur thoughts! Thanks all
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And a koralia 4 for $20! Has new impeller
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use this method to make sure it's tempered. It may or may not be. It'd be alot easier to drill and more peace of mind than an HOB overflow kit.

http://www.salt-city.org/showthread....ss-is-tempered
Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If i could redo my 55g it would be atleast a 75g. A 55g is hard to aquascape. For a sump I have a 20g long. No refugium just skimmer, return pump, heater, and 2 phosban reactors hanging on the side. I agree that you should have just stuck it out cause all tanks go through algae issues until its cycled and balanced. I also agree with saving up and doing it right. It will cost you less in the long run

Tags
build, rebuild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com