My 7.5 Gallon FOWLR tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29Gsaltaquatics

Aquarium Advice Regular
IMG_1514760208.376609.jpgIMG_1514760260.979735.jpgIMG_1514760276.943855.jpgIMG_1514760299.044261.jpgIMG_1514760312.728890.jpg
My tank has been set up for over 2 months, I have a Red Fire Dartfish
and a Scarlet Red Hermit Crab. I like hair algae. I have 2 Quiet Flow 10 Filters with extra filter media, a remote controlled l 13 WATT (but bright) light. 50 WATT Top Fin heater, and a 91 GPH pump. The lid is an imagitarium reptile lid which I cut to size for my aquarium, and I sprayed it with with aquarium safe rust preventer (because the lid was meant for reptiles so it’s metal) If you have any questions I’ll answer them. I’m planning on adding softies when my tank is 4-5 months old. What other livestock should I add? Thank You!

If your planing on soft corals you should be concentrating on removing the high nitrates/phosphates fueling that hair algae , and start getting the hair algae under control.

coral don't do good with high nitrates/phosphates that hair algae would overtake any new corals you would add only suffocating them

there are macro algae that you could use in your tank for decor that wouldn't overrun your tank like the hair.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really like the dragons breathe macro but are there any other good/easier options besides cheato because it floats? In the past week the hair algae hasn’t grown just it stayed the same length.

Last time I tested (Yesterday) the nitrates (API Test Kit) were not yellow/0 but the were not orange/ 5, it was closer to 0ppm than 5ppm. I know some people who have reef tanks with constant 20ppm nitrates, and everything is healthy. Idk how their corals are healthy.

Anything under 20 is doable for a reef. It isn't until an issue comes up does it become an issue. Keep at it as there is improvement. Algae is never solved in a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom