Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What kind of live rock is that? It appears to be some square pieces resembling non calcium based rock. Some quartz in there perhaps?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The squared off rock is some sort of super dense sandstone I think. It was in and around my koi pond in the back yard for two years and then several big chunks were in a freshwater tank for at least six months. So, evidently it is ok with the fish (inverts too).

It's pretty porous too. When I first dropped it in the tank little micro bubbles came out of it for about an hour. I think it's native to out here in West Texas since it seems like the go to rock for landscaping. I'll take a pic of some dry and post it.

The rest of the rock is regular liverock that I got from the LFS as well as some lava rock that came from the LFS as well.

John

Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #13

Got a whole pile of the stuff: haha

John
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL. I'd watch the lava rock. I've heard that there's a lot of minerals in it that leach out, like excess iron. I think the calcium based rock is your best bet. I'm not sure about the long term effects of the sand stone.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #15

Tank's been moved to the other room (my son wanted to trade rooms -my office and his bedroom while we were doing the carpet). Tank's moving along with no problems. I also used the move as an excuse to redo the rock work and add some more. I'm guessing there is probably 80-90 pounds of rock in there now (added 13 pounds of dry lace rock that's becoming alive). Went with more of an amphitheater look and I like it more than just the low wall that I had.

I'm going to let the fish chill out for a bit (a week or so) before I add another fish. Thinking about a small yellow tang next.

I added 2 damsels (a yellow tail and a four stripe) about a week before the move. They seemed like they were getting along fine, but when I was taking the rock apart I found the four stripe dead back there. I think the yellow might have killed him.

Other than that, everything is moving along fine.

John
Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remove that air stone! You are going to have a salt creep mess everywhere!
Use power heads for flow and aeration.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #17

It's out. I just had it in there for a day or so to get the water super aerated.

I learned the lesson about the crazy salt creep from the air stone. I had it in there for a while when I first set up the tank. LOL

John

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com