Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My aquarium is dying :-(

I need help!!
a few weeks i bought a valentini puffer against my better judgement.The puffer was marked but assistant in the lfs was adament that the fish was just stressed and would be fine,needless to say three days later it died!!.
since then i have lost a powder blue tang,a large clown,a humbug damsel.
I have removed all the fish that arent ill they are well and happy in a new environment,but i have a long nosed butterfly,an emperor angel another humbug damsel a cleaner wrasse and another large clown still really ill ive tried treatments and nothing is working! im afraid they will almost certainly die now.

Here is my main question!! all my water parameters are perfect! there is nothing wrong with the water!,is my whole system down the pan? or will i have to completely start from scratch?? please tell me my marine adventure is not over!!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Has your tank cycled? It might be best to start over. Is there any parasites in the tank?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Has your tank cycled? It might be best to start over. Is there any parasites in the tank?
The aquarium is about 5 month old,i set it up patiently before i added fish,everything was fine up to takeing that valentini puffer.how do i know if there are parasites in there? Ive tested the water and the quality is fine even now! But the fish are dying,their fins are tatted they are loseing colour their eyes are milky whatevers in there is fatal! But is my whole system ruined? If i leave it cycling once the fish have gone wil any infection die with time and no host? Or is everything just poisoned for good!? This is all really depressing ive put so much time and money in to this i dont think i can do it again!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

Is there a way to find out if and what parasites are in my system?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately, unless you have access to a lab, there is no way to check what's in your tank that I'm aware of. If I have a sick fish, I just check the symptoms displayed and research those symptoms as to what to sickness is and apply treatment appropriately. I learned the hard way too not quarantining a new fish in a saltwater tank. Luckily, I had spare tanks and treated the sick fish (ich) in a QT tank (which I should've ha up in the first place) and removed my live rock/SPS coral into a third tank by themselves with no fish. So one tank separated into three. I treated the main tank with copper to make sure the other fish don't get it and kill off the ich left in the tank. The qt tank also with copper, and the live rock/SPS tank with nothing. Since there are no fish to host, the live rock/SPS tank will sit by itself for a couple months to ensure if any ich parasites were on them will die because of no host. It's a pain when not listening to other's experiences and thinking it will not affect me, but I pulled my head out of the sand and will definitely do things this way from here on out. Good luck to you and hope your fish pull through!!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this your first saltwater tank? How big is it? Those are some serious fish for a beginner and big ones too! If your tank is smaller than 100g then I would say that is your problem.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Already asked, but what size tank? A lot of those fish need a large tank or they will stress. Torn fins could be from aggression, which could come from the tank being too small (territory issues) or could just be the damsel being a damsel and terrorizing the other fish.

Eye problems are usually poor water parameters/conditions. Are you using RODI or tap water? What filtration do you have? How do you test your water? How often do you do water changes and how much?

If it is a parasite, fish should be treated in QT and display tank should be left fallow for 6-8 weeks to let it all die off. Is it just torn fins and cloudy eyes or are there other symptoms? What exactly was wrong with the puffer? Not sure what "marked" means.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #8

Hey everyone,thank you all for your help and concerns.

Yes this is my first marine tank,but its not my only marine tank,my affected tank is 4' x 2' x2' which is 450 litre,i also have a 120 litre sump below which is crawling and healthy,I did mix my own saltwater from scratch (tap) but i used every precaution in doing so! I cycled my tank for 6wks before starting to stock. There is 1kg of live rock to every 20 litres of water.i tested the water only yesterday and all parameters are positive including ammonia,nitrate,nitrite,ph,phosphate,hardnes,calci um,alkalinity and iron (chelated&non) the water is perfectly fine!

The puffers symptoms were spotty and generally shy,not much movement,the lfs assistant was adamant that there was nothing wrong but a little stress! Im kinda feeling stupid and violated by the whole thing cos everything was perfect before then!!

My current fishes symptoms are loss of colour tatted edged fins,milky eye/s lethargic,swimming on side,possible white spots more on some than others!

Ive kind of accepted now that the ill fish cannot be saved and its a matter of time they are too far gone.its all happened really fast and its been a horrible experiance for me and my partner to watch!

Once my tank is empty,if left cycling with the live rock inside for a couple of month,will this infection whatever it is,die off?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

I use a nutrafin master test kit it cost me about £75.i have found it to be very effective.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #10

Sorry forgot to mention i change between 10 and 20 percent of the water every ten days!
I do genuinely believe that this has just been a disaster caused by that one poorly fish!,
I just need to know if all is lost or if my system wil righten itself over a couple of months of cycling?

Tags
aquarium, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com