my Blue Spotted Puffer/Toby Super Aggressive,Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agataoneil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently acquired a blue spotted puffer and he keeps on nipping at my maroon clownfish's fins... Now he did it to my coral beauty. Why is he so aggressive? To my understanding they are semi-aggressive and they target crustaceans, not fish. Any helpful info?

Your sources stating "semi-aggressive" is wrong. Many of the smaller puffers are pretty aggressive. They are not reef safe and fin nippers. You just have a puff that lives up to the norm. The special ones don't disturb a reef and/or nip/kill other fish.

I'm angry because so many web sites said it was semi aggressive.... I love him and I don't want to get rid of him... What other fish is he truly compatible with?

All SW puffers do best in a tank by themselves, but each of them have their own personality. The special ones have a personality that is peaceful; however, they may snap one day and kill all their friends in a few years. As juveniles, they are less aggressive. As they mature, the aggressiveness will get worse.

The best tankmates are the ones that hide a lot or stays out of the way of your puffer. I think its a gamble to have tankmates. If you don't get attached to the other fishes, then you'll be ok.

For what it's worth...

I'm angry because so many web sites said it was semi aggressive.... I love him and I don't want to get rid of him... What other fish is he truly compatible with?

That's why you ask the people who have the fish you want, how they are to keep or you research the fish in books. Semi-aggresive should have meant to you that it has the ability to be aggressive. It didn't say "Peaceful" anywhere did it? If you were looking for peaceful fish, I would think that description should have been in your research. When I worked retail, I sold very few puffers for exactly the reason you're having problems.
You might want to consider a separate tank for him or sectioning off a part of your tank for him (if it's big enough.)(y)

Back
Top Bottom