My canister filter broke last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay179

Aquarium Advice Regular
While cleaning my marineland c360 canister, the internal motor stopped working(loud noises). I immediately went out and bought a marineland emperor 400 HOB filter. I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank with 105 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand. My tank has been up almost ten months. I was wondering if my biological filter will be able to cover the loss of my canister filter? I know it will take a couple of weeks for my emperor to create a sufficient biological base to break down the ammonia. I plan on taking it back once I get my replacement marineland c360. Thanks!

My current stock:
maroon clownfish
coral beauty
yellow stripe damsel
pink spotted goby
coral banded shrimp
mexican turbo snail
3 or 4 hermit crabs

I personally like bio-wheel filters better than canister fliters. Eventually the canister will become a nitrate factory. Biowheels are easier to clean and can host pods better. I had an established 40 gallon tank with a biowheel that i went to change the cartridge the blue padded filter was not filthy but covered with amphipods and copepods. With a biowheel it can hold 4 cartrigdes and you can easily only change two at a time to keep the bacteria in at all times.

Back
Top Bottom