Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am actually going to do a water change right now. i do not have a separate tank to match the temperature. will this be okay? the water in boxed levels are perfect in my closet. room temperature. if i do like a 30% PWC should it be fine? Also my girlfriend just bought API proper ph which sets it to 8.2? is this accurate? it states to put in half a packet for 10G tank when doing a water change. She bought me a peppermint shrimp. Im acclimating it now. Didnt want to put anything else in until the levels were okay but i have no choice now.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's your pH? Is it low? Wouldn't add anything unless you've tested for it. Did you test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and get a number? If so, what are the numbers? A 30% PWC sounds like a good start.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I still have the dip sticks so I do not know exact numbers. the guy at petco tested the water and said adding that power would help my pH level. I added half and well see what happens. I just did a 30% PWC and im going to test the levels in like 30 mins i figured id wait about an hour. As long as my dip sticks say "safe" which is a clear/white color i think ill be fine for now. Thursday theyre getting the API Saltwater test kit so im going to buy it on Friday when im off and take it from there.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, you've gotta slow way, way down. Get the tank cycled, keep the clown if it is still alive and let it sit for a while. It needs to get that beneficial bacteria to good levels. then you can add fish slowly. You will not be able to add much to a 10 gallon tank. I agree with going for at least a 20. Ten bucks more will work better for you in the long run.

Again...ask before you buy more and keep us posted as you move forward with water changes.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

you got it, will do. the only reason why i am using a 10 G is because it's the one i bought originally when I had my freshwater fish in there. It fits perfectly on my night stand which is sturdy enough right next to my bed so the cosmetic set up looks very nice. I bought a brand new 30G and put the freshwater fish in there because i figured the 10G would be easier to maintain for a saltwater set up. now i am regretting my decision. It was more affordable for sand/rock/water etc in the 10 rather than the 30, but the 30 would look so much nicer salt. maybe I will convert it one day some how.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 20 tall I think has the same footprint as a 10g, but I might be wrong on that. At any rate, before we've got you upgrading to 150g, we gotta get this tank cycled first. Lol. Just keep testing and doing PWCs and hopefully your fish will make it!! Just so you know, inverts (like the shrimp) are very sensitive to water parameter changes, so don't be surprised if he doesn't make it through the cycle.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know that they are very sensitive I was upset when she brought it home since I know I have to now do a fish in cycle. Well see how it goes. I did the pwc last night and everything seems fine right now. The 1 clown I have seems happy and he's eating. The shrimp was hiding under the rock for a little while but he comes out an scavenges around. I saw on Craigslist a 55 gallon which comes with a stand for 100$. I'm gunna jump on it and make it salt water. The 10 I have I'm going to keep it while the 55 cycles whenever I get that started if its still avail. This time ill do it right now that I'm a little more knowledgable.
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am new to the hobby too.I have had two damsels and they both died in less than 5 days...I was devastated(just ask my hubby).I have a 10 gal tank as well and just had one fish at a time.What killed them was over feeding and high ammonia and Nitrite levels(the under gravel filter was a factor too).This site has great info and I haven't given up I am doing more research and looking at getting a bigger tank.
One thing to do(please correct me if I am wrong) is when nitrite is high don't fed the fish until it comes down.If it isn't happening fast enough then try a 20% water change.
A rule of thumb for the number of fish in a tank is: you want to think about whatsize the fish will be when they are adults and then not more than 1-2 in per gallon.For example,.a Clown Goby is more suited for a 10 gal because its max size is 1 1/2 in so no more than 9 or 10 Gobys in 10 gallon. tank.gallon.tanksAquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums (liveaquaria.com) has great info on what fish are suited for different size tanks.
Good luck!We can do this!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tommy- that 10g would be good as a quarantine tank for new additions. There are all sorts of discussions and articles out there on these. That 50g would be better in the long run. With saltwater, bigger is better due to less fluctuations in parameters.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah that's what I was thinking about doing. I just went over board and got so excited with these tanks I have. It's a really interesting hobby and finally found something I like to do lol. I gotta slow down and ill see where this 55 takes me

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com