my clown had ich ... but i can't get it out off the tank ... what i have to do withou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minajaguar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my clown had ich ... but i can't get it out off the tank ... what i have to do without getting it out ??
30 gallon tank with anemones ,starfish and another dottyback single fish

Take fich out put in qt leave yur dt tank fishless for 6 weeks then add fish back ..u can leave inverts in tank ...use yur qt tank and treat fish with hypo or copper and u will rid yur tank of ick and for know on qt all new fish u buy befor putting them in dt tank

if you are having trouble catching the fish try removing half the tank water, the corals and rock will be fine for a few minutes out of water. :) Consider it a large water change lol

Then put the fish in qt and treat with either hyposalinity or copper.

Good luck

I just had this problem last week. My trick? Feeding time. When he came up to the top for food, I had the net ready.....

Try feeding it mashed up garlic or soaking your fish food with garlic. Worked a treat with my clowns.

Well that answers a question for me. I bought some marine flakes that has garlic in it and I wondered what the benefit was. The fish seem to love it.

pcdebb said:
Well that answers a question for me. I bought some marine flakes that has garlic in it and I wondered what the benefit was. The fish seem to love it.

It also helps to jump start a fishs appetite. Good for new fish that arent wanting to eat

pcdebb said:

The benefit of garlic is very questionable and really does not have much science behind it. Its never been proven to boost immune system and its never been proven as an appetite stimulant, if fact many people report quite the opposite.

Many foods now contain garlic because of well fed hype over the years. There is a demand for it because of this, and aquarists are buying up garlic products. As of currently garlic is brightly labeled on many bottles with many claims to entice buyers.

Personally i have used garlic but ive noticed in my own blind tests, not apparent differences in feeding behavior between frozen mysis and garlic soaked frozen mysis. Just saying.

Think about how often you hear about garlic and you will realize some of the hype thats behind it.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

Well I don't know about the studies but my fish are enjoying the change of diet. I'm going to give them some frozen brine shrimp and see how they like that. My angels sure enjoy that.

Garlic contain allicin which acts as an antibacterial agent. This boosts the immune system in fish as well as humans. Whilst it does not kill ich it does help fish fight it. Prevention is always better rather than curing it after the outbreak.

Million8 said:
Garlic contain allicin which acts as an antibacterial agent. This boosts the immune system in fish as well as humans. Whilst it does not kill ich it does help fish fight it. Prevention is always better rather than curing it after the outbreak.

Score.....(15)

Allicin has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties . Ich is a parasite . How on earth does it help with ich

Million8 said:

Again sorry to say but this has never been proven at all.

http://www.allicin.com/

Allicin Defined:

Garlic (Allium sativum), like other plants, has an exquisite defense system composed of as many different components as the human immune system. In order to protect itself from insects and fungi, garlic enzymatically produces allicin when it is injured. Thus, allicin is mother nature's insecticide. Allicin was discovered in 1944 by Cavallito et al.1 who first noted its potent antimicrobial activity. Allicin received a patent for its antifungal activity in test tubes. However, no clinical trials have been performed with allicin and it was never developed into a drug or commercial product due to its instability, inability to be absorbed, and offensive odor. Allicin itself is considered to be of limited value inside the body and is presently regarded by the scientific community as just a transient compound which rapidly decomposes to other compounds.11

minajaguar said:
my clown had ich ... but i can't get it out off the tank ... what i have to do without getting it out ??
30 gallon tank with anemones ,starfish and another dottyback single fish

You can make a DIY fish trap out of a plastic bottle rather easy. Google or YouTube it, make one, catch it, quarantine it, and medicate or hypo.

Back
Top Bottom