My clowns are bullies to my new fish! Advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prissysmom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help!

I have (had) only 2 false clowns. A big female and small male. They get along well together. I added a green chromis, a firefish and a yellowhead goby.

The clowns went after all 3! So the firefish is now hiding in a spot in the live rock, same with the yellowhead. The green chromis doesn't hide so they are always following him around the tank and nipping at him. The chromis was able to eat early this morning.

What should I do? How do I get the firefish and yellowhead out to eat?

I didn't think clowns were so aggressive! You'd think with 75g they would all be able to have a spot somewhere and live peacefully. Maybe they will settle down in a couple of days. I'm just worried about the others.

I have heard that regular damsels are very very aggressive. Would one of those get my clowns to calm down? HELP!

In time they might calm down but for now I would turn off the lights and move some rock around. This will confuse the clowns helping them to not focus so much on the other fish.

Update

My stupid camera is not working! So much for Christmas pics:(

Ok so I just turned off the lights but left the rocks alone. The lights have been off for a full 24 hours. My clowns have relaxed and are not messing with the chromis. The firefish came out of hiding but hovers near his hiding spot. The yellowhead was stiring up sand but doesn't really leave.

I think it will be ok but my clowns hog all the food. They certainly live up to their names:rolleyes:

You must remember that clowns are Damsels and as such are an agressive gorup of fish. You may have better luck with the firefish if you added another one to the mix.

I've only ever had Clown problems when I've had 2 clowns in a tank. When I have just one it never seems to bother anyone. (And it got a very quick dressing down from my 6-line whos the big boss of the tank now!)

Another update...

All is well, The firefish doesn't come out often but he does come out. The green chromis is fine and always out. The yellowhead is busy scattering sand everywhere. I just cleaned off some live rock in the front of the tank and he came an hour later and covered it with sand. BRAT!

Back
Top Bottom