My cycled tank is ready for fish..now what?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yippee! Did all water tests today and everything turned out zero. I have had a few snails die, but the nitrite WAS bright purple a few days ago.

So I am going to get a pair of clowns..what kind do you suggest? I want a good sized pair, good coloring, that will accept an anemone later on.

I need some clean up crew to sift through my sand and eat algae...little hermits aren't enough...
Can I get a starfish, or something else, at the same time as my clownfish?

How can I get my live rock to grow more thingies and creatures?

:) :) :)

So I am going to get a pair of clowns..what kind do you suggest?

I like these:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=107

I want a good sized pair, good coloring, that will accept an anemone later on.

I would get smaller ones, there is also no guarantee that they will host.

I need some clean up crew to sift through my sand and eat algae

You can get a few ideas from here on the clean up crew:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=420
I didn't order the whole package, they are designed for established tanks, so cut down on the amount of critters.

Can I get a starfish

Whatch these, some can not be taken out of the water. A 2+ acclimation is important for some of them. I do 2+ hours drip acclimation for ALL of my inverts.

How can I get my live rock to grow more thingies and creatures?

Stuff will grow naturally, just keep the water quality good.

i would remove the damsels before you add any fish...they tend to be agressive...they wouldnt let my clown sleep in the rocks....chromies are much less agressive...

a brittle starfish will help keep your sand clean

i would get about 15-20 hermits and same with snails, 1-2 emerald crabs, and a conch for your cleanup...looks like you already have a cleaner shrimp and some kind of crabs??? some blenny will eat algae also.

I don't know if I would go with a bunch of hermits. My seem to munch as many snails as algae, even though I have larger shells in the tank for them. I am not sure if the hermits, take what ever is near them, or actually seek out a shell that is empty. My set up has 4 hermits, 6 cerinths, 12 nassis, 12 bumblebee snails, (of course this number is less now, that the hermits decided the empty shells I provided weren't "high class" enough for them). But, that is just my opinion/experience....

ime, i have better luck with hermits than i do snails, even when water is in pristime conditions. try on the low end, like 10 or so, and see how things go, (in doing so youll also be able to check if theyll have enough to eat). if all is well, than you can add a bit more.

Oh man, you are SOO right!
My large hermit 3-4 inches already ate my red shrimpy and two of my nasa. snails yesterday..the shell was empty! He isn't helping with algae, just eating my creatures! arrggg!

Back
Top Bottom