My Electric Flame Scallops got eatten!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comets55

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just want to know which one is the suspect who eat 2 of my Electric Flame Scallop...left only 2 empty shells for me the next day.

What I have in the tank:
1. Percular clownfish x 3
*2. Banggai Cardinalfish x 2
3. Lawnmover blenny x 2
4. Hospital shrimp x 1
*5. Sabae anemone (10 inch in diameter) x 1
6. Galaxia coral (2 inch in diameter) x 1
7. Short spine sea urchin (1 inch diameter) x 1
8. Various size of snail x 4
9. Mini hermit crabs x 4

Who do you guys think as a USUAL SUSPECT for this crime? I assume either Banggai or large purple tip Savae anemone...as it seems like those scallops love to hidding under neath the anemone and banggai love to stay still around that area. Then, I found 2 flame scallops under that area with any flesh left over.

*I have this tank for over 3 months without any dies except these scallops...bad record for me now. Please put your feedback for my next lesson...

It think it was the Banggai as well as they are not 100% reef safe. Or they weren't accumulated correctly.

I wouldn't have added so much fish over a short period just my opinion being the tank is only 3 months. However to answer question. I don't know I've seen cardinals with flame scallops before though there's always an exception... if they weren't acclimated properly and already dieing may have been all of your fish in on the meal including those hermits..

Scallops are touchy anyway as filter feeders and I think most woud say they don't have a good long term track record. They are filter feeders and seem to need a constant source of food along with good water quality. These two things are to provide simultaneouly. My guess is they died and the hermits, urchin, and shrimp did what they do.

I've had Baggais and PJ cardinals with a deresa clam as well as with several corals. The only thing I've seen them go after was pods. I imagine they might see smaller shrimp as items ont he menu.

Last edited:
I had been told to dose "Snow Plankton" into my tank. Do I just drop it in or mix with water in the tank and do individual feed? Please advice for plankton dosage.

Back
Top Bottom