my first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wabassoweird

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my first fish 5 damselfish. i named them Randy Jackson, Bucky Covington, Steve z, Blue, and Audrey. Steve Z was sick as soon as i put him in the tank and he died later on. Blue doesnt look so good. But Bucky randy and audrey look real good. Audreys a yellowtail damsel and she just hides under a rock overhang is that normal?

I have that feeling FF.

If this is a new tank you should bring the remaining fish back and use the "fishless cycling" method. Not only is it faster but much more humane for the fish. There are many resources we can give you to the "fishless method."

Let us know where you are at?

I second that Mike... take them back if cycling please.......

I agree, they might not make it through the cycle. What are you water parameters? How do you acclimate them? Don't fall into the LFS's advice. I have found this is a good place, the folks here are honest and not out to make money. Think of the LFS selling you fish, to cycle your tank, the fish die and the LFS gets to sell you more. What a profit. Don't worry, just take them back to the LFS and you can do the fishless cycle, like the others said. Please keep us updated.

my tank had finished cycling about a week before i got the fish. i talked to a few of my friends from my local area and they told me the fish store that i got the fish is pretty unreliable.
the first fish that died looked sick at the fish store but the guy at the store told me it was okay so i trusted him. same thing with the fish that died this morning, it had a white mark on its side at the store and the mark quickly spread when he was in my tank. the other fish are eating and look real healthy.
I hope that i cycled my tank right. i got live rock that i put in my tank. i waited for the ammonia and nirite to peak and then disapate. the nitrate was up to 15ppm and then i did a 15% water change and the nitrate went to 10ppm. i waited another couple days and then got the fish. Is that enough cycling or should i have done something else? the whole cycling only took about 2 weeks is that long enough?

Sounds like it might be an acclimation problem, and possibly ich. If the one fish had white spots on him and they dropped off and then he got more. How did you acclimate them? You still want to get that nitrate down.

alright now im freaking out. the fish that had the white spots on it was one of 2 yellowtail damsel that i got. now the other yellowtail is on the bottom of the tank looking sick. when i aclimated them i floated the bag for a hour and the slowly let the water into the bag.should i change the water now to get the nitrate down.

yea my waters pre mixed and ready to go but my little yellowtail damsel looks like hes dying should i let him die or should i get him out now incase he has the ich? hes been laid up against this rock for a few hours breathing really fast and not moving. i got a quick look at his other side thats against the rock earlier and i saw a white mark like the other one that died.

no QT. I dont know what else to do i just dont want any more fish to die.
heres a crappy pic.

Attachments

• dsc00038_166.jpg
    dsc00038_166.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 15
How long has he been in there? Can you test your water again? What/how often are you feeding?

i got the fish yesterday. i just test the ammonia an hour ago and it was 0ppm. i fed them 3 times yesterday and once today. my theroy is that i just got sick fish from the fish store. Because theres 2 damsels that i got yesterday also that are looking perfect. the two healthy ones are a domino and a two striped damsel

feeding 3 times in one day.... aaah you are going to have some serious water condition problems soon if you keep feedning that much, not only that the fish could die from over feeding.
feed 1once a day at most
i feed every other day.

sounds to me like you need to find a new pet store to shop at. if the guy at the store sold you a fish that had white spots on it and then continued to tell you that it was okay, and then the fish soon afterwards died, there are problems there. also, with all those fish dying, you should really consider a qt. i know that it can seem expensive because you basically have to set up a completley new tank, but with those fish dying it would be a good investment in the long run. in my opinion, start a qt and find a new fish store.

find a new fish store.

I would suggest not going to a new store, just run your questions through this forum. Take everything they say at the LFS with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom