Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

To me it looks like a cousin of the emerald crab. First thing it doesn't have hair or black pinchers that is my first clue it isn't bad. Crab Hitch Hikers

Old 11-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thought IF you catch something like that and have one of those little hamster balls laying around stick it in there until it can be identified. That way it is in the tank and easy to get out. I don't have any luck catching stuff out of my tank I have a coral banded shrimp that came with a tank I really really want out of my tank so I can put other shrimp in and can't catch it.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, the best guess so far has been something in the emerald crab family. Anywho, the poor bugger went out with the trash today. I'm playing this one safe!

So, went to buy my one shrimp today to start the cycle (the lady at the store was nice enough to give it to me for free - I think she thought it was kind of funny so I did explain what it was needed for), and this poor bugger is cozily situated at the bottom of my tank. The game has begun!! Now I just need to re-read the article to see how long I wait before I test the water.

Oh, and I did a quick test today and it showed that the alkalinity and pH was a little low for a saltwater tank. Should I worry about this yet or not??
Old 11-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry about the Alkalinity and PH for the time being. It will be all over the place while the tank cycles. As for testing, now and then would be good mostly so you get used to how to do it but you most likely don't need to watch it too close until you see the Diatom bloom. Diatom is a brown algae that will start to cover the rocks, substrate and glass. Don't worry about it when you see it and just let it be. I feeds off of the silicates that are in you tank and will die off on it's own once it has finished consuming it all. When it hits, it is a sign that you are nearing the end of the cycle.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

10-4. Thanks My shrimp is covered in a thick layer of... fuzz, I guess. I know you can do this by adding ammonia, but I just think it is super fascinating to see what is happening to the shrimp! Ammonia was 0.5 after two days so I guess the shrimp is doing its job

Tags
first tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com