Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

8O

Yeah I will have to agree with the others...those fish are way to big for a 50g tank...when I saw the first angel I was like woaah way to big! can he even swim around???
Also you really should return the sharks...Sharks are very sensitive in captivity to water changes and are hard to keep ( 2 years with a experienced aquarist is a good life span!) and as far as miniturization goes yeah the sharks will most likely stop growing lengthwise but the head will keep growing and after some time(if it lasts long enough.) it will look all deformed and eventually will not be able to swim because its head will weigh to much and will be too big for the fins and tail.....

Not trying to bash you dude but those are some expensive and impressive specimens just to have them die on you in a few months time...
Also you should look for a new lfs...anyone who says they can miniaturize salt fish is obviously stupid (or everyone here with a 29 g nano reef would have emperor an queen angels and all the other great beautiful fish that you cant have unless you have a tank like my size(250g)...Not to mention that any LFS that cares about the hobbiest and isnt out to rip you off would have not sold you those fish knowing that you have a 50g an little experience in SW....

Do yourself a favor an return them and use the credit to get some LR and more suitable fish....

Good luck!!
Mike

Old 07-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Please return these fish and opt for something smaller, as we are all fish lovers and dont want to see these fish die.
Also other things to consider is the bio load of those fish are huge what is your filtration like it would want to be 4 time over rated for your tank size to keep up.
so consider this because i can see you doing pwc every 2 days because of ammonia levels. so if the tank size dosnt kill them it will be the poor water quality unless you are a very deicated water changer.... whcih will in turen cost you a crap load in salt.

please let us know what you decide.

good luck.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #23

8O
Old 07-13-2006, 11:44 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

After fighting back the many other things I can say I have chosen just to say this:

"These fish are not science experiments. Stressing them and forcing mother nature's hand into doing something, in my opinion, is not your choice to make. For example, taking perfectly healthy Gold fish, stressing it, cross-breeding it, minitaturizing it, or DNA tampering, to make it have HUGE bulging eyeballs (or in this case miniaturizing it) is not appealing. Some people may enjoy this but I do not. Taking a perfectly healthy and obviously blessed animal and "miniaturizing" it or, in essence, abusing the animal is not the most sane thing to do. I have not been a member long but I can assure you that this place is about promoting the health of their environment to provide them with a loving and 'close-to-home' feel so they can live normal fish lives. Please take the fish back to the store to enable all of them to have a proper living environment by someone that will ensure their livelihood and health."
Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #25

Trameltanz you may have not been a member long, however you have figured out the site. Most people on AA are all about proper care and helping others.

An alert moderator already locked Finest's other thread so I pray this one gets locked as well. A lot of people that dedicate their time, including myself are becoming upset. (well I only help on the F/W side for now but that is not the point) Finest, AA is a great place with great people to give advice about proper care of aquatic life. If you do not take it seriously you should either be more responsible, or move on and find a new hobby. Sorry, if I am rude but I take neglect of fish, and any other form of life very serious
Old 07-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I doubt this guy comes back.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

locking the thread will not help anything, everyone is giving great advice and are staying civil. We can only hope that some of the good advice sinks in. If not then hopefully someone out there learned something from the mistakes posted in this thread.
All members are doing a great job buy keeping this post on track..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #28

You are right. I didn't think of it that way.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:55 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkobu
8O

Yeah I will have to agree with the others...those fish are way to big for a 50g tank...when I saw the first angel I was like woaah way to big! can he even swim around???
Also you really should return the sharks...Sharks are very sensitive in captivity to water changes and are hard to keep ( 2 years with a experienced aquarist is a good life span!) and as far as miniturization goes yeah the sharks will most likely stop growing lengthwise but the head will keep growing and after some time(if it lasts long enough.) it will look all deformed and eventually will not be able to swim because its head will weigh to much and will be too big for the fins and tail.....

Not trying to bash you dude but those are some expensive and impressive specimens just to have them die on you in a few months time...
Also you should look for a new lfs...anyone who says they can miniaturize salt fish is obviously stupid (or everyone here with a 29 g nano reef would have emperor an queen angels and all the other great beautiful fish that you cant have unless you have a tank like my size(250g)...Not to mention that any LFS that cares about the hobbiest and isnt out to rip you off would have not sold you those fish knowing that you have a 50g an little experience in SW....

Do yourself a favor an return them and use the credit to get some LR and more suitable fish....

Good luck!!
Mike
Thanks Dude!

You’re message is inspiring well I’ll like to start all over again I’ll setup my second 50gal aquarium. Please give me a good combination of fish. And do you know butterfly fish w/ low maintenance rather than the other.

-finest
Old 07-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
You’re message is inspiring well I’ll like to start all over again I’ll setup my second 50gal aquarium.
Mmm, how many 50G do you have? From another post of yours, you said you already have 2 running

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com