Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, I feed my fresh evert 3 days and have had some fish for 8 years or longer. So I will feed every other day and I think that should help out.
Thank you so much Nikki for giving me hope and making me want to continue.
Any advice is good. Thanks

Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenikat View Post
My levels keep elevating, not sure why. I let it cycle and have been running it with fish for 2 months now.
I have a 25 gallon

My ammonia is 0.25
Nitrite is 0.50
Nitrate is about 10
Ph is 7.8
I only feed once a day
I have 2 clowns,a damsel, small tang, scooter, six line and clean crew (star, hermit, two snails)
Live sand and live rock

not to sound like tang police but>>>

a 25 gal tank is wayyyyyy to small for a tang (Need 90 or bigger)

now with that said onto your issue

do a 50% WC should help drop ammonia,nitrite,nitrates
if you don't drop your water parameters soon you risk poisoning your fish
you shouldn't have nitrites or ammonia at all
everything should be as close to 0 ppm as possible

Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

forgot to ask how often do you do routine water changes

and whats your salinity

If you have a API master kit
be aware some of the levels nitrites/ammonia are sometimes off a bit
I just switched to salifert kit better readings
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes I have an API master kit.

My hydrometer says 1.023

I have done a pwc every day now since the levels went up. Before that I did one every week because of the size of my tank.

I do plan on getting a 55g tank after Xmas so I plan on doing a transfer of the tank I have now.

I have been told so many different things and just want to be successful at this.

Question. Should I be replacing my carbon filters regular or just rinsing them out?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd replace the carbon with GFO or chemipure. That's what I did and it helped my levels greatly. Not sure carbon does to much for saltwater. I use it in my fresh tanks though.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlgrey23 View Post
I'd replace the carbon with GFO or chemipure. That's what I did and it helped my levels greatly. Not sure carbon does to much for saltwater. I use it in my fresh tanks though.
Running some GFO until you can get your water straightened out may be a great idea. I run it when I'm on vacation just because I know the person feeding is going to overdo it! I still think that you have too many fish. I run carbon in my tank and always have HOWEVER, recent studies have shown that running heavy active carbon in saltwater aquariums can cause "Head and Lateral Line Erosion" if you don't supplement the water by adding trace minerals. If you have tangs (surgeonfish) it's not necessarily a great idea unless you choose to use trace mineral additives!
A lot of people with freshwater tanks run it because it takes away that "yellow tint" that water can get. It also removes some large organic molecules, medications, chlorine, pollutants and toxins, as well as other types of chemical elements that a protein skimmer or another means of filtration may not remove. Basically, it's not needed but I use it and add trace minerals.

As far as the comment regarding the tang...+1
Tangs need a lot of room and space...a rediculous amount it seems when coming from freshwater to salt. Basically, when it comes to the number of fish you can have, and the type, all the rules change for saltwater. That little bitty juvenile tang that's only about 2 inches needs about 40 gallons to swim in to be healthy. They are very active fish, extremely sensitive to EVERYTHING, and BIGTIME grazers. You need to supplement his diet with algae sheets etc. If you don't, he will eventually die. Honestly, they usually do not do well in tanks that are not decently established. I find it irritating that sites will claim them as "easy" level of care. They are so picky and susceptible to disease. They usually will live for a few months in a new tank and then die. If anyone knows of someone that has a FOWLR less than 90 gallons that introduced a regal tang after the cycle and has it 6 months later, I would be interested in knowing what they did! I've never put one in a small and new tank.

Hmmm...I will stop now! LOL! I just wrote a dissertation and apologize! Let us know if you have any question! We may not always know the answers but most of us can and will help you find them!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenikat View Post
Yes I have an API master kit.

My hydrometer says 1.023

I have done a pwc every day now since the levels went up. Before that I did one every week because of the size of my tank.

I do plan on getting a 55g tank after Xmas so I plan on doing a transfer of the tank I have now.

I have been told so many different things and just want to be successful at this.

Question. Should I be replacing my carbon filters regular or just rinsing them out?
I would replace them especially since you have a smaller tank. Also, if you can get larger than 55 gallons, you will be a lot happier later! You will become addicted like the rest of us if not already and a 55 will handle what you have now but not much more. Look online on Craig's list after Christmas. You can find some awesome deals. Also, if you check local forums in your area online, people get out of the hobby all the time and just want to get something for the tanks.

I'm wanting a new tank...AGAIN...lol!

Tags
level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com