My levels high!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenikat

Aquarium Advice Regular
My levels keep elevating, not sure why. I let it cycle and have been running it with fish for 2 months now.
I have a 25 gallon

My ammonia is 0.25
Nitrite is 0.50
Nitrate is about 10
Ph is 7.8
I only feed once a day
I have 2 clowns,a damsel, small tang, scooter, six line and clean crew (star, hermit, two snails)
Live sand and live rock

What kind of filtration are you using? How often are you doing water changes? How did you cycle? How far apart did you add the fish?

IMO, That seems like a lot of fish for a 25g, especially to have if the tank is only two months old.

Also, IMO, the "small Tang" won't make it long either. Even the smaller ones, like Koles or Tominis, should have 55-75g.

What kind of filtration are you using? How often are you doing water changes? How did you cycle? How far apart did you add the fish?

IMO, That seems like a lot of fish for a 25g, especially to have if the tank is only two months old.

Also, IMO, the "small Tang" won't make it long either. Even the smaller ones, like Koles or Tominis, should have 55-75g.

+1...it looks like you don't have the bacteria present to handle the bioload as well because you shouldn't have ammonia and nitrites if you did unless you aren't fully cycled. Todd is right about the tang. They are VERY picky and not hardy when it comes to dealing with water stress from water issues. They are also very susceptible to disease and parasites just to let you know.

Ok, so I appreciate your reply but can you offer any advice? So far you are telling me I may not be cycled and my tang will die.
I cycled the tank for a month then added my damsel. It finished its cycle and I added my scooter. 2 weeks later I added my two clowns. I added my 6 line 2 weeks later and my tang 2 weeks after that. All seems to be going great but my levels are up in the last 4 days.

How did you cycle the tank initially?

I will let someone with more experience with this sort of situation chime in with solutions. My guess is that you have too many fish, added too quickly and the beneficial bacteria produced during the initial cycle is not enough to keep up with the waste being expelled. The tank is probably cycling again. I'm not sure that water changes will be enough, but would probably be a good start. The ammonia and trites should be at zero after a cycle and having them present is not good for any of the fish.

The Tang might be okay in there for a while depending on what kind it is and how big it is, but being overstocked, that would be the first thing to take back, if possible.

Ok, so I appreciate your reply but can you offer any advice? So far you are telling me I may not be cycled and my tang will die.
I cycled the tank for a month then added my damsel. It finished its cycle and I added my scooter. 2 weeks later I added my two clowns. I added my 6 line 2 weeks later and my tang 2 weeks after that. All seems to be going great but my levels are up in the last 4 days.

Okay, you have a 25 gallon tank with what sounds like 6 fish and I'm guessing you have some sort if CUC. To be very honest with you, that's too many fish. I need to read back in your initial post but how much live rock do you have? It sounds like you A) are over crowded which will not only cause you issues with water but stress out your fish and B) you don't have the amount of bacteria established for what you have. Immediate fix would be to do a water change. Get your levels of ammonia and nitrite to zero. This will eliminate some of the stress on your fish however you are going to need to do this and test your water everyday for a few days to see how long it takes for the ammonia to show again. Nitrites are just as deadly as ammonia by the way. I would consider getting rid of the damsel for sure. Depending on how much live rock you have, you may need to add some base rock so bacteria can start growing on it. Let me see what kind of filtration you have as well (if listed).

See, you also have a CUC that puts off waste in addition to the fish.

How many pounds of live rock do you have? What kind of filtration are you using?

Basically, if you know for sure you were cycled prior to introducing fish, then my guess is that you lack a sufficient level of bacteria for the number of things in your tank. Even with adding base rock, if you are over crowding the tank it will be difficult to good water. Generally, people kind of go with 1 inch fish per every 5 gallons so if you have a 2 inch fish that's 10 gallons. Now, that can vary upon many factors and some will argue you can do more while others less however most who have been in the hobby a while will go with LESS...and that's the smartest way to do it.

Thank you Nikki for your post. I don't know much about salt water fish, I've had fresh for 15 plus years. I read so much about it and tried to follow all the basic rules.
I have about 20 lbs of live rock
A skimmer
A carbon filtration

I have tested almost daily and did (at times) daily water changes. My fish are very active and seem content.
It's very frustrating because I thought I was doing ok until a day or two ago.

How much should I be feeding my fish? Say in frozen cubes.

How much should I be feeding my fish? Say in frozen cubes.

With frozen I thaw out and strain through a net first. Feed little bits at a time and do it until they don't eat anymore. I feed every other day. I will also put a little in for my shrimp.

I've had saltwater fish for years and I learn something new all the time! It can be frustrating but once you get this issue settled it will help!

Ok, I feed my fresh evert 3 days and have had some fish for 8 years or longer. So I will feed every other day and I think that should help out.
Thank you so much Nikki for giving me hope and making me want to continue.
Any advice is good. Thanks

My levels keep elevating, not sure why. I let it cycle and have been running it with fish for 2 months now.
I have a 25 gallon

My ammonia is 0.25
Nitrite is 0.50
Nitrate is about 10
Ph is 7.8
I only feed once a day
I have 2 clowns,a damsel, small tang, scooter, six line and clean crew (star, hermit, two snails)
Live sand and live rock

not to sound like tang police but>>>

a 25 gal tank is wayyyyyy to small for a tang (Need 90 or bigger)

now with that said onto your issue

do a 50% WC should help drop ammonia,nitrite,nitrates
if you don't drop your water parameters soon you risk poisoning your fish
you shouldn't have nitrites or ammonia at all
everything should be as close to 0 ppm as possible

forgot to ask how often do you do routine water changes

and whats your salinity

If you have a API master kit
be aware some of the levels nitrites/ammonia are sometimes off a bit
I just switched to salifert kit better readings

Yes I have an API master kit.

My hydrometer says 1.023

I have done a pwc every day now since the levels went up. Before that I did one every week because of the size of my tank.

I do plan on getting a 55g tank after Xmas so I plan on doing a transfer of the tank I have now.

I have been told so many different things and just want to be successful at this.

Question. Should I be replacing my carbon filters regular or just rinsing them out?

I'd replace the carbon with GFO or chemipure. That's what I did and it helped my levels greatly. Not sure carbon does to much for saltwater. I use it in my fresh tanks though.

I'd replace the carbon with GFO or chemipure. That's what I did and it helped my levels greatly. Not sure carbon does to much for saltwater. I use it in my fresh tanks though.

Running some GFO until you can get your water straightened out may be a great idea. I run it when I'm on vacation just because I know the person feeding is going to overdo it! I still think that you have too many fish. I run carbon in my tank and always have HOWEVER, recent studies have shown that running heavy active carbon in saltwater aquariums can cause "Head and Lateral Line Erosion" if you don't supplement the water by adding trace minerals. If you have tangs (surgeonfish) it's not necessarily a great idea unless you choose to use trace mineral additives!
A lot of people with freshwater tanks run it because it takes away that "yellow tint" that water can get. It also removes some large organic molecules, medications, chlorine, pollutants and toxins, as well as other types of chemical elements that a protein skimmer or another means of filtration may not remove. Basically, it's not needed but I use it and add trace minerals.

As far as the comment regarding the tang...+1
Tangs need a lot of room and space...a rediculous amount it seems when coming from freshwater to salt. Basically, when it comes to the number of fish you can have, and the type, all the rules change for saltwater. That little bitty juvenile tang that's only about 2 inches needs about 40 gallons to swim in to be healthy. They are very active fish, extremely sensitive to EVERYTHING, and BIGTIME grazers. You need to supplement his diet with algae sheets etc. If you don't, he will eventually die. Honestly, they usually do not do well in tanks that are not decently established. I find it irritating that sites will claim them as "easy" level of care. They are so picky and susceptible to disease. They usually will live for a few months in a new tank and then die. If anyone knows of someone that has a FOWLR less than 90 gallons that introduced a regal tang after the cycle and has it 6 months later, I would be interested in knowing what they did! I've never put one in a small and new tank.

Hmmm...I will stop now! LOL! I just wrote a dissertation and apologize! Let us know if you have any question! We may not always know the answers but most of us can and will help you find them! :D

Yes I have an API master kit.

My hydrometer says 1.023

I have done a pwc every day now since the levels went up. Before that I did one every week because of the size of my tank.

I do plan on getting a 55g tank after Xmas so I plan on doing a transfer of the tank I have now.

I have been told so many different things and just want to be successful at this.

Question. Should I be replacing my carbon filters regular or just rinsing them out?

I would replace them especially since you have a smaller tank. Also, if you can get larger than 55 gallons, you will be a lot happier later! You will become addicted like the rest of us if not already and a 55 will handle what you have now but not much more. Look online on Craig's list after Christmas. You can find some awesome deals. Also, if you check local forums in your area online, people get out of the hobby all the time and just want to get something for the tanks.

I'm wanting a new tank...AGAIN...lol!

Back
Top Bottom