my male clown seems to be pushing around some of the fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
my tank is in my room. I have a mated pair of clowns ( true percula female and false percula male), and a some other small fish, damsels, goby, chromis, etc.

Recently,. almost every night when I am sleeping, I hear small splashes in my tank.

I figured the fish are just having some fun.

But I have been noticing during the day, that my male clown seems to be pushing around some of the fish. He is not biting them or anything, just kind of grinding against them. It looks really weird, and have never seen that behavior before. The other fish, dont even try to swim away. Is he cheating on his wife? can they clowns become unmated?

will the male try to kill all the fish in the tank if the female clown is about to have babies?

couple nights ago, I hear small splashes again, while im in bed. I ignore it.

next few days, I cannot find my fire goby. I first thought hes probably hiding in the rocks somewhere. I then decided to check around the tank, I found the dead body, all crispy on the ground.

what I am trying to figure out it is, is it possible the clowns are chasing all fish trying to get rid of them, because they are mating?

extremely confused by what to do.

(btw I do have a full glass lid on the tank that covers evrything except 1" in the back for pipes, etc)

anyone ever experienced anything like this?

How big is the aquarium???? Clowns do get very aggressive if they are mating. Clowns are generally mean fish. I see that u have chromis and damsels which are on the same family as clowns. When my clowns mate they will beat up anything that is anywhere near their anemone or their eggs.

How big is the aquarium???? Clowns do get very aggressive if they are mating. Clowns are generally mean fish. I see that u have chromis and damsels which are on the same family as clowns. When my clowns mate they will beat up anything that is anywhere near their anemone or their eggs.

the aquarim is a 36 gallon bowfront, but I have lots of live rock.

3 chromis, a yellow tail damsel, cardinal fish, and now a dead fire goby.

Clowns are usually very aggressive especially toward other damsels. They may have gone after ur goby at night and he jumped out of the tank. It has happened to me before. My clowns have killed angels before in my tank that have come to close to there anemone.

Or they could have gone after the dsels and spooked the goby causing it to jump out

You might want to bump to a bigger tank if you can afford it. Mating clowns can get super territorial... My female almost killed my yellow watchman last year and my tank is twice as big as yours with over a hundred lbs of live rock. My other fish all know to stay away from her now

I agree. My tank is 150 gallons and my clowns beat up on anything that comea near there corner where their anemone is

Fire gobies are famous for jumping, the clowns may have nothing at all to do with this.

Fire gobies are famous for jumping, the clowns may have nothing at all to do with this.

I was wondering if someone was gonna say this. They are well known in the carpet surfing world. I would say the splashing you heard was him jumping and hitting the glass, this time however... he found the opening

Back
Top Bottom