My neon goby has dissapeared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a neon goby in my tank for about 2 weeks. He seems great, pretty active, has his favorite spot on the rocks sometimes he hides in the holes in the rocks at night. Problem is, I havent been able to find him for a 2 days!!!! Do these guys hide for that long?? I'm hoping he didn't die....I'm about ready to take all the rocks apart:(

I wouldn't take the rocks apart if I were you. What else is in the tank that might have him spooked? He may indeed be a goner, but again taking the tank apart won't help at all. I'd give it a few days and plan on buying another if you don't see him.

What kind of tank do you have if it is an AIO (all in one) look in the chambers ... if you have an over flow check there as well ... Is it an open or closed top .. if open check for a smiling cat ...
These guys can hide for long periods .. I have a YWG that I did not see for over 3 weeks .... try to add some mysis or brine to see if you can trigger his feeding response and to come out ... also check at night for unwanted hitch hikers ...
What are its tank mates ?
also check perameters in smaller tanks you will likely have a small cycle ....with raised Ammonia etc ... :D

30 gal tank, no fuge, His tankmates are 2 clowns, 1 purple dottyback, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 small hermits, and snails. Since I've had the fish together everyone seems peaceful....

dotty backs can be agressive to fish that are of the same shape as them ... they are also I belive in the same group of species or sub species ...
Could have posed a problem....
either way try to trigger feeding response and wait a few days/weeks and then call him out on it ...
also check the floor for dried fish jerky ... I had one jump took me a while to find him when I first started check under the stand and also furniture and in the furniture (amazing the height these lil guys get its as tho they sprout wings) .... Also check for smiling pets IE dogs or cats ...

They definitely are jumpers. I would check the floor for a carpet surfer. I hope I`m wrong.

Back
Top Bottom