Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool puffer.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OMG!! Wish we could catch stuff like that where I live!!!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
OMG!! Wish we could catch stuff like that where I live!!!
Yea I don't think you get to fish the ocean much in Texas lol. I'm heading to Houston next wed then to Dallas my woman and I are taking a vacation to visit her family and then my family plus she has her Mary Kay convention or whatever in Dallas that she has to attend.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not much in Houston but we go to Galveston quite a bit! Hmmmm...wonder what I can find near the rocks there??? I may need to take a road trip! Dallas is cool! That's where I'm from and my family lives. Lots of stuff to do! They also have some fantastic fish stores.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I love the name! Cute little thing, too. I love puffers.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

After reading many many problems with this type of puffer. I have became really scared. I've never owned a fish that has so many problems.

However since day one he has eaten frozen brine cubes. Now this morning I feed my fish frozen krill and he ate that and now I just feed some blood worms and he ate them too.

I even thawed out a 1 inch thin shrimp and held it above the water and he came up to it and ate it.

Maybe I'm lucky but thus far no problems with him eating.

Thus far no problem with tank mates.

I have noticed that he is constantly swimming around and I have only noticed him once resting and that was when he decided to sleep stuck to my power head " I got scared and stuck my hand in the tank and he swam away"

He never hides like my other fish do. He is always just swimming around not once has he swam
Through a tunnel of my rocks.

Thus far he is a crazy lil guy.

Actually I'm sure he is a her so I need to start saying her.

Reason I think it's a her cause if y'all have noticed some burr fish have long horns and some have short horns. Well I think " don't quote me" but females short horned, male long horned " makes since to me"

I know cause I have read that all burr fish are caught with IP so I don't have a QT tank and I'm
Not going to medicate my entire tank with parasite killer so with that said I'm thinking about just adding some vitamins to the water and to all fish food. For now anyways.

As long as he stays looking happy, healthy and eats well I'm happy. I haven't noticed any tall tale signs of any type of parasites.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx
I love the name! Cute little thing, too. I love puffers.
Thanks lol I
Love the name too!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bigger they get, the less often you should feed. Be careful not to overfeed because its super easy to do it. On the other hand, its very difficult to starve them to death. Feed until the tummy is slightly round. Its fun feeding them though

These fish are prone to getting IPs for many months according to a few hobbyist. All you have to do it keep an eye on the stomach. If you feed today, then tomorrow before feeding, you shouldn't see a sunken tummy. They are naturally thinner than other puffers, such as your porcupine, so its sometimes difficult to determine if its a sunken tummy or not. You just have to use your best judgement. If at any time you notice stringy poop or a sunken tummy, then medicate the food only with IP med. No need to medicate the whole tank. Many puffer keepers (me included) like to pre-treat their fish for a full 1-2 weeks. Better to catch the IP early rather than later.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Terrance what meds would you recommend me treating my fish food with. I think I'm gonna do it just as a precaution?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ohhhh and it's not a porcupine puffer it's a spiny box puffer aka burr fish ... Big difference thus I have read

Tags
puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com