Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My new live rock

Hey everyone! I just picked up this new live rock for my setup. I got them from a lfs they were labeled as fiji cultured live rock. They have been in the tank for 4 days now. Can you identify what kind of algae it is growing on the second rock? Is that good algae. Also, do they look like good live rock? What kind of live rock are they? They look like live lava rock, but I am not sure because there are pieces of crushed coral encrusted on it. It is also not like the dead live rock I see commonly on lfs. there is no noticeable life growing on it except for algae. Would it be possible to introduce a marine life that would grow on it? Thanks for input every1!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4265.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	15230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4266.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	15231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4268.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	15232  

Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look like some good rocks they will become more developed over time Not much you can do to speed the process.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i would say not Fiji lookin at all, Almost like a Pompei live rock, but not even that im not sure. It Does look like lava rock that became "live rock" from over time somewhere and they sold it as Fiji rock. Doesnt matter now because its alive and thats all that matters, Will look really good when you start getting some good coraline on there!!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The brown looks like diatoms. That's normal in a new tank and will burn out in time.

How big is your tank and how many pounds of LR is that in total?
If you are planning on just LR and a skimmer for filtration the general reccomendation is 1Ĺ - 2 pounds of LR per gallon of tank capacity.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It does look like diatoms but I'm surprised it's only on the rock and not everywhere.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #6

The tank is 10 gal, it was supposed to be a fish only setup, but I added some live rocks to help out in the filtration. Theres about a good 7 lbs of live rock in there. Im running a 20 gal filter on it, hagen aquaclear. I did not take away the medias inside because Im not running a skimmer.

What are diatoms? Is that a good thing that its growing on my rocks?
The rocks are live right? even the rock on the top left? I got them for an affordable price. I wanted to make sure I really got live rock for my money. It really doesn't matter to me where theyre from as long as theyre live that would help out in my aquarium.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Diatoms are an algae that thrives off of silicates and light. They will burn out in time. I am not sure if you rock is live. Where did you get it and was it out of water, shipped?
Do you have a liquid test kit?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 09-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #8

It was inside an aquarium with a bunch of other live rocks like it. They had the tag fiji rock with it. I haven't seen them out of the water. When I got them from the pet store, they were submerged in water. I dont have a test kit, but I could get it tested in a petco or petsmart.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like rock meant for a SW aquarium. Whether it's from Fiji, Tonga, or Inner Outer MidMicronesia, I couldn't tell ya... but it looks good to me.

As others have said, the algae growing on it appear to be diatoms. Diatoms aren't necessarily a "good" algae, but they're kind of a right of passage - you don't really have a choice. As the tank matures, they'll burn themselves out. A cleanup crew of trochus and astrea snails will make quick work of them as a snack and will be a welcome addition once you're sure your tank has cycled.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I would suggest you add a pinch of food and test the water in 3-4 days to see if ammonia is present. If you are reading ammonia, you will need to cycle the tank.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com