My Nitrates are jacked up!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyst1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
65 Gal with Aqueon Pro Flex II sump Berlin Method
1 Coral Beauty
1 Bi Color
1 Nemo
6 Chromas
1 Diamond Goby
14 Hermits

Did a 20 Gal water Change this past Saturday, Nitrates are 80+. Everything else looks good.:confused:
Should I change more water(if so how much and how often) or try some De- Nitrate stuff?
Thanks!

Mine was the same. Mine actually got over 150 ar one point. I figured out that it was from my tap. You need to get a RO/DI unit if u dont use one. Theres one on ebay for 65$ that I got. Type in RO/DI and itll come up. Do you use a skimmer? If not I would look into getting one. If you dont have a fuge (stuff in your fuge I mean) then get caulerpa or chaeto. Good Luck!!!!!

RO/DI is filtered water that will not have any ammonia or nitrates...when you use untreated water like tap it can add nitrates, but at the same time it can kill bacteria, which can add nitrates to the tank

Hope I did not confuse yo guys. I do have an RO/DI.
Also feeding frozen brine 1 cube 2 times a day.
Thanks,
Ricky

There is your problem. Cut back to feeding every other day for a while and do weekly 20% changes. After the nitrates are at an acceptable level you can try feeding once daily. Twice a day is unnecessary. Also, rinse that food in tank water before adding it to the tank.

One Cube every other day? Feel like I`m starving them. The books all say at least twice a day. Are they lobbying for the local fish stores? Its like telling me Beer every other day....the little guys are going to have DT`s.

Fish in the wild don't eat everyday because they have to hunt for food. Don't worry you won't be starving them. Look at it this way a little less food now will save them from getting sick due to high nitrate levels.

Ok, I will do my best to avoid their stare down, gonna hav to lock my wife out though, she`s a mother hen.
Thank you,
Ricky, Gloucester Virginia

rickyst1 said:
Ok, I will do my best to avoid their stare down, gonna hav to lock my wife out though, she`s a mother hen.
Thank you,
Ricky, Gloucester Virginia

Lmao...there is a product called nitrates and phosphates that helps to remove nitrates...you can also look into getting a nitrate reactor

i would just cut back on feeding. i maintain a heavily stocked 150 gallon tank at a fitness club, and i feed that tank 2 times a week. the fish are fat and happy.
make sure you thaw and rinse that nasty cube food too.

What do you mean by rinse? I thaw in a small container of tank water.
What do you suggest I feed them?

I know I may get scolded by saying this, but I used the IO natural nitrate reducer and my nitrates went from about 50 to 0 after a few weeks. It's cheaper than buying all the salt for huge water changes, and it has stayed 0 without adding any more of it. I think its about $10 on Foster&Smith. When I set up my tank I used tap water before I realized it was about 80ppm. I did several huge water changes (with good water) but it only went down a little so I finally tried this stuff and it worked great and has stayed at 0. The owner of my reputable LFS said you need a skimmer for it to work (he didn't sell it to me, I bought it online and asked him later). I also have a large canister filter on my 55 gal, but don't think you need one for it to work.

Back
Top Bottom