Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My sump design but will it work?

I have decided to build my own sump so this is my design. It took a lifetime to get it on this computer.
Section one: Skimmer
Section Two: Bio Balls
Section three: Bubble Trap
Section four: Refugium
Section five: Return pump

The gaps between section one and two are 1/2" this is two force flow through the bio balls. The distance between bubble trap is 1"

This is a new hobby and at the minute I`m on fire with it can`t wait to get it up and running. Tank is all set up but filtering the water through a RO unit is slow. Can anyone tell me what to put in the refugium? Feel free to give your thoughts on my design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump_2_998.jpg (16.4 KB, 482 views)

Jewel Trigon 350 installed on 11/1105
New to this but learning alot.
Advice always welcome!!!!
My real name is Paul and I am a christian.
I know Jesus paid the price for my sins DO U ?
O I live in Belfast - Ireland
pjos11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't see how the bio-balls chamber would work. Typically, water enters a strainer above the balls, passes through the balls which are suspended above the standing water level, and then passes to the pump out chamber.

46 gal FOWLR
11lb Live Rock - 40lb Live Sand
ProClear Pro 75 - LR rubble & skimmer in sump
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Mine goes in this order. 1) refuge 2) Bio balls soon to be LR rubble 3)return with skimmer and heater in it. You dont need a separate section for the skimmer but that is IMO.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
i agree with Charlie on this one. as far as i know the bio-balls should be getting some air flow and with your design it seems like it will not be getting much if any. that is what i was told and it has worked in my sump. if you are interested i could send you a few of my ideas on how to make it work. good luck!
FishAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you're designing a sump - here's my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

Ideally, I would want my fuge first so that its occupants could benefit from whatever nutrients, doc's, phosphates, etc are in the water. Then I would want my skimmer so that nothing unnecessary gets into the bio-ball chamber and eventually coats the balls. Next would be the bio-ball chamber and lastly the chamber for your discharge pump.

The bubble trap probably should proceed the fuge.

Keep in mind that my 2 cents is worth just that. :>)
46 gal FOWLR
11lb Live Rock - 40lb Live Sand
ProClear Pro 75 - LR rubble & skimmer in sump
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Too complex. It will work, but will be more work to make than it is worth. Lose the bio balls, lose the bubble trap. Make only 1 separate compartment in the tank to house your return pump and skimmer. Drop the water inlet on the far side and fill the remainder of the tank with rock and macro. The rock will work underwater so you won't have to worry about air exposure and the macro will be a very effective bubble trap before the ater ever gets to your return pump. You'll have a significantly larger 'fuge area than with all the little specialized compartments and it will work as good or better than the mechanical bits you are planning on. Will save you some time and money as well.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Great signature line! Great to hear of fellow brothers in the hobby By the way, I designed my own sump system with bioballs and have had no problems with water chemistry for 4 years now. Never had nitrates higher than 12.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I'll show you a pic below with my sump/fuge empty and full. Left to right in mine.....

Water return chamber with skimmer pump & UV pump & rubble (to help break up bubbles), baffles, fuge (miracle mud and sand, rock rubble, critters, tube worm, some rouge coral), baffle area with rubble, and return pump/UV pump chamber.

I'd suggest getting all your pumps on hand to ensure your build has enuf room for the pumps and hoses connected to'm, prefilters (if used), and got room to pull'm out for service. I actually had to shorten the intake and cut down the prefilter to fit one of mine in there next to another.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

design, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com