My sump design but will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjos11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have decided to build my own sump so this is my design. It took a lifetime to get it on this computer.
Section one: Skimmer
Section Two: Bio Balls
Section three: Bubble Trap
Section four: Refugium
Section five: Return pump

The gaps between section one and two are 1/2" this is two force flow through the bio balls. The distance between bubble trap is 1"

This is a new hobby and at the minute I`m on fire with it can`t wait to get it up and running. Tank is all set up but filtering the water through a RO unit is slow. Can anyone tell me what to put in the refugium? Feel free to give your thoughts on my design.

Attachments

• sump_2_998.jpg
    sump_2_998.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 485
I don't see how the bio-balls chamber would work. Typically, water enters a strainer above the balls, passes through the balls which are suspended above the standing water level, and then passes to the pump out chamber.

Mine goes in this order. 1) refuge 2) Bio balls soon to be LR rubble 3)return with skimmer and heater in it. You dont need a separate section for the skimmer but that is IMO.

i agree with Charlie on this one. as far as i know the bio-balls should be getting some air flow and with your design it seems like it will not be getting much if any. that is what i was told and it has worked in my sump. if you are interested i could send you a few of my ideas on how to make it work. good luck!

If you're designing a sump - here's my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

Ideally, I would want my fuge first so that its occupants could benefit from whatever nutrients, doc's, phosphates, etc are in the water. Then I would want my skimmer so that nothing unnecessary gets into the bio-ball chamber and eventually coats the balls. Next would be the bio-ball chamber and lastly the chamber for your discharge pump.

The bubble trap probably should proceed the fuge.

Keep in mind that my 2 cents is worth just that. :>)

Too complex. It will work, but will be more work to make than it is worth. Lose the bio balls, lose the bubble trap. Make only 1 separate compartment in the tank to house your return pump and skimmer. Drop the water inlet on the far side and fill the remainder of the tank with rock and macro. The rock will work underwater so you won't have to worry about air exposure and the macro will be a very effective bubble trap before the ater ever gets to your return pump. You'll have a significantly larger 'fuge area than with all the little specialized compartments and it will work as good or better than the mechanical bits you are planning on. Will save you some time and money as well.

Great signature line! Great to hear of fellow brothers in the hobby :D By the way, I designed my own sump system with bioballs and have had no problems with water chemistry for 4 years now. Never had nitrates higher than 12.

I'll show you a pic below with my sump/fuge empty and full. Left to right in mine.....

Water return chamber with skimmer pump & UV pump & rubble (to help break up bubbles), baffles, fuge (miracle mud and sand, rock rubble, critters, tube worm, some rouge coral), baffle area with rubble, and return pump/UV pump chamber.

I'd suggest getting all your pumps on hand to ensure your build has enuf room for the pumps and hoses connected to'm, prefilters (if used), and got room to pull'm out for service. I actually had to shorten the intake and cut down the prefilter to fit one of mine in there next to another.

Back
Top Bottom