Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPiE
Clowns are very hardy (a member of the damsel family). For them to mysteriously die without any change in parameters, leads me to believe they were bad stock.

Can you post the exact figures of the below parameters?
It'll help us narrow down what went wrong. It's frustrating when they mysteriously die, but eye opening when you know what went wrong.

Ammonia -
Nitrite -
Nitrate -
pH -
Salinity -
Temp -

Also, are you using any "additives"?
The only thing you should be adding to your tank is food, and prepared salt water for water changes.
I am using the test strips that you dip in the water. Ammonia-0. Nitrite-0.5. Nitrate -80. pH-7.8 Salinity-300 Temp-80-82. Gravity-1.022. I do add "Cycle" every few days, My LFS guys keep telling me "you can't add too much". I don't want to kill anymore fish!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You are in need of a desperate water change. The ammonia and nitrite should be 0 at all times and the nitrates shouldnt be above 20.

You might consider using the API test liquid kit, it's a heck of a lot more accurate than the strips.

I would also stop using this cycle stuff it isnt helping. If you let your tank do it's thing with proper water changes you won';t need any chemicals.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok..................my wrasse was deceased this morn. Why do they seem fine during day, and die overnight? I have two skunk cleaner shrimp, doing ok. I will go get more RO water and do fifty percent water change. And get liquid test kit. Thank you
Old 07-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck!! So sorry about your wrasse but you can still save the other fish if you work at it.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileykari
Ok..................my wrasse was deceased this morn. Why do they seem fine during day, and die overnight? I have two skunk cleaner shrimp, doing ok. I will go get more RO water and do fifty percent water change. And get liquid test kit. Thank you
You need to do some serious water changes like carey said empty out about 50% of ur water and do a good 15% in two days and another 2 or three days after that... are you using to water or tap...

Edit sorry didn't read the get more... u should test ur to water for phosphates and nitrates..
Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lower that temp to 79 degrees...your making fish soup at 82!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLiquid
Lower that temp to 79 degrees...your making fish soup at 82!
82 isn't horrible in my opinion.. its not really the heat as much as the lack of oxygen in the water... I've been scuba diving in the caribbean when water was close to 86 degrees.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

82 is fine as long as it's consistent. The water changes are your top priority now.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
You have nitrites, change water ASAP - change twice a day until nitrites dissapear.

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com