Mysis shrimp running around!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found mysis shrimp in my tank a while back but I didn't see very many of them now I'm seeing a ton of them run around and I was just curious but what exactly eats Mysis shrimp??? Is there a fish or crab I could get to control the population???

Almost all fish eat mysis shrimp. We should all be so lucky to have a population of mysis shrimp in our tank.

Last edited:
What do you have in the tank now? How big is the tank?

I would suggest something that will pick at your rocks all day if you really want to get the population down. Everything in my tank eats the frozen mysis shrimp.

I have a Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye Tang, Black Clown Fish, Blue Spotted Toby, Coral Beauty, and a lunare wrasse. I also got a Long Spine Sea Urchin.

If this is in your 40 gallon tank, I would suggest a 6 line wrasse. I would be cautious because they can be punks, but I had one in my 30 gallon tank and he was never a punk. The only dumb thing he did was jump out of my tank and die. :-(

I want to start a population of pods in my wet/dry. If you were to get something that could keep your guys alive without predators so they can populate more and be sucked up into your main tank for food, I would suggest a Mandarin!

So he the Mandarin will always have a constant food supply and won't starve to death in your tank.

Yes it is my 40 and it should be fine in my tank as I have a snowflake eel two clowns an a starfish

Wish i had a big population of live mysis in my tank! Heck i dont even have one live mysis shrimp lol. How did this start? Did you introduce live mysis into your tank at some point?

Baron1282 did you convert your wet/dry into a refugium/sump?

No I honestly didn't even know what they were when I saw them I had to research the things in my tank because I was so confused and thought it was a parasite they just hitch hiked right on into my tank along with a pistol shrimp peanut worm a really cool snail and a Oenone fulgida worm that I can't get out

I wouldn't even worry about controlling them because they are not detrimental in any way, but if you want them eaten, a wrasse will take care of them.

Can you attach a picture of how much you really have?

Are you sure they are not pods? I don't ever recall hearing of Mysis hitch hiking, but it seems possible.

I'm very sure if I could I would post a picture but my phone won't let me

Back
Top Bottom