Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO big enough for a pair. I have the 14G model and I currently have a firefish goby and starry blenny (see signature) and I plan to add a percula clown a little down the road. I used to have a smaller pair of ocellaris clowns in there, but they were a bit too mean to my firefish so I returned them

This is coming from someone who overstocks his tanks, so my advice may not be best

Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
Let us know if you decide to get the tank! Would be an awesome gift...pretty pricey, but awesome!

hehe yes the 14g is like about $300 CAN and the 8g is $230... she really loves clown fish but i don't have the time to take care of a saltwater tank... i also thought that if she puts it on top of my 110g cichlid tank, it will look really cool... or maybe i can build a place for it inside the stand or something! we'll see!

thanks for your help

Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why not go with a standard glass tank? 20 gallons roughly? About $30 bucks possibly cheaper when holidays hit. Just get a powerhead or two and a HOB filter. I think that would be the best budget setup.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duoc9119 View Post
Why not go with a standard glass tank? 20 gallons roughly? About $30 bucks possibly cheaper when holidays hit. Just get a powerhead or two and a HOB filter. I think that would be the best budget setup.

since i don't have enough experience with saltwater, and i have done some research, i've found out that it's pretty easy to start a saltwater tank with these biocubes... have read good reviews about the filtration system and everything... that's why... also it's like an all in one package that can be transferred easily... so if she wants to put it in her room or whatever, it's easy.. i don't know maybe you're right but i just find this nano tank easy! if it was me i would definitely get a glass tank but for her, i don't know!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with the overall ease of the all in one tanks. I have one myself, a Nano Cube 28. I do like how everything is self contained, but for the cost of one I think I would've gone with a glass tank if I didn't get my tank used and for a fraction of a new one.

I would check around Petco and Petsmart. I see they always have Biocubes new and used on sale as clearance, getting rid of their saltwater inventories. Petco especially. Saw a few Biocube 8's for around $150-$200.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I felt/thought the same thing. Besides having a larger filter volume (Compared to usual similar sized setups) the only difference between the biocube and similar setups is buying the equipment seperate and the looks. I don't think moving it would be any easier though, it's still heavy no matter what type of tank you put it in.

And if you're trying this on a budget I suggest buying things seperate, it's definitely cheaper
Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by duoc9119 View Post
I agree with the overall ease of the all in one tanks. I have one myself, a Nano Cube 28. I do like how everything is self contained, but for the cost of one I think I would've gone with a glass tank if I didn't get my tank used and for a fraction of a new one.

I would check around Petco and Petsmart. I see they always have Biocubes new and used on sale as clearance, getting rid of their saltwater inventories. Petco especially. Saw a few Biocube 8's for around $150-$200.

thanks very much!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreamInSaltwater View Post
I felt/thought the same thing. Besides having a larger filter volume (Compared to usual similar sized setups) the only difference between the biocube and similar setups is buying the equipment seperate and the looks. I don't think moving it would be any easier though, it's still heavy no matter what type of tank you put it in.

And if you're trying this on a budget I suggest buying things seperate, it's definitely cheaper
Agreed. You could also skip all the extra equipment if looks are important, and get a sheet or two of glass, acrylic, and eggcrate, and make your own all in one with an overflow! All you really need is to make a box on the back wall and a media basket so water over flows into it, then add a wall so water flows down the basket and not through it where a return pump awaits. It would be a really nice project for you and your girlfriend to do together.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #19

really? it's going to be cheaper? cause if you actually add up the filter, sand, rock, salt mix, and the list goes on! i think (or i thought) that it would be more expensive to buy separate... because i do have a 20g tank already that is empty! you think i should do that? now for a tank that size, what would i actually need to buy... i mean the list up there is pretty much all i know... cause i've never done saltwater so is there any special filter?

will i need a protein skimmer? if yes, what does it do exactly... there is just so much to know about saltwater... i am very experienced with freshwater aquariums... i have always successfully bred and had cichlids all my life,, it's just the saltwater that needs a lot of work!! now if you think the 20g tank will need only weekly water changes,,,, that's not a problem!

and what do you think of this? http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Salt...2.html?tc=fish

can someone list everything i need separate please? (including additives and everything!) i would really appreciate it... you guys are great!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #20

what do you guys think of this? 130D Starter Kit

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com