Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Smile "NANO" Biocube question...

Hi,

I'd really appreciate if someone tells me what i'm getting into here...

I currently have a 110g freshwater cichlid tank... I'm not planning to upgrade to saltwater BUT, i saw these "Nano" Biocubes at Big Al's...

My girlfriend LOVES clown fish and i was thinking to get a 8g one for her bedroom for her birthday... I think she'd be the happiest girl in the world but i would like to know a bit more about it...

Does anyone know how easy it's going to be to keep couple of clown fish in that Biocube? Does the package come with everything you need? so you basically need to add salt, water and fish? and how does the filtration work?... do you just clean it once in a while? how hard is it going to be for her?

Now i figure that if it's just changing water and regular additives, then it's pretty easy to take care of an 8g tank....

Thanks very much for all your help

Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi and welcome to AA. Would it be fish only (FO), fish with LR (FLOWLR) or a reef tank eventually? She definitely would have to do some weekly maintenance and maybe even biweekly top offs of water. Easy? It can be if you do regular water parameter checks and upkeep.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

1) Get sand, dry aragonite sand works best in my opinion. Rinse this sand a lot before putting in tank, if you don't it's not a huge deal but it will cloud up the water for a few days longer.

2) get liverock and start your cycle, usually about 1-2 lbs/gallon is the general rule i think. It doesnt have to be all live rock, one piece of live and the rest base rock is fine. Try to find nicely shaped pieces, with lots of holes/caves.
Cycle your salt tank

3) Get a good test kit, the API liquid one seems to work well, strip tests suck. Test the water often looking for the ammonia to just then drop to zero. The cycle should take a few weeks, could be more.

4) once there is zero ammonia and nitrite (a little nitrate is okay), then i would do a large water change and add a clean up crew which would consist of snails, crabs, ect.

5) Let the clean up crew get used to the tank for about a week or so, no major deaths and you should be able to add a pair of clownfish.

upkeep: I would go with weekly water changes on an 8 gallon personally, this will reduce the risk of an algae outbreak and keep the fish happy and healthy. To do a water change get a bucket with a power head and mix up some saltwater that matches the salinity in your tank (1.025), most people leave it overnight so the salt mixes in completely. You could also get a heater to make the temp the same as the tank. Then you just bucket the dirty water out and clean back in. You should also only use ro/di water in your tank, this also reduces the risk for an algae outbreak since there is who knows what in the tap water. Top of the water in your tank with fresh ro/di water when it gets low, i just keep a small bucket beside my tank and do it daily.

There might be the tanks that are set up and running at the pet store as well. I would just get the water tested before purchasing it. Check the ammonia and nitrite.

Helpful hints:
-make sure the clowns are eating before you purchase them and that they are truly a mated pair, this means one is usually larger than the other and they wont fight.
-don't overfeed, this causes algae, every other day is fine for fish
-feed a variety of foods (mysis, blood worms, flakes, and brine which is not nutritial for the fish but a nice treat)
-no additives are necessary for your tank, water changes should keep all levels stable
- Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby
- Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

there are also other articles on this website that would be helpful to read, I'd check them out.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

Yes it would be fish only.. Would that be easier? Some water change is okay.. Like I said, how hard can it be to add to an 8g tank... Now if she decided that she wants reef... I mean what do you need to do to keep this tank going? Tnx very much
Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
1) Get sand, dry aragonite sand works best in my opinion. Rinse this sand a lot before putting in tank, if you don't it's not a huge deal but it will cloud up the water for a few days longer.

2) get liverock and start your cycle, usually about 1-2 lbs/gallon is the general rule i think. It doesnt have to be all live rock, one piece of live and the rest base rock is fine. Try to find nicely shaped pieces, with lots of holes/caves.
Cycle your salt tank

3) Get a good test kit, the API liquid one seems to work well, strip tests suck. Test the water often looking for the ammonia to just then drop to zero. The cycle should take a few weeks, could be more.

4) once there is zero ammonia and nitrite (a little nitrate is okay), then i would do a large water change and add a clean up crew which would consist of snails, crabs, ect.

5) Let the clean up crew get used to the tank for about a week or so, no major deaths and you should be able to add a pair of clownfish.

upkeep: I would go with weekly water changes on an 8 gallon personally, this will reduce the risk of an algae outbreak and keep the fish happy and healthy. To do a water change get a bucket with a power head and mix up some saltwater that matches the salinity in your tank (1.025), most people leave it overnight so the salt mixes in completely. You could also get a heater to make the temp the same as the tank. Then you just bucket the dirty water out and clean back in. You should also only use ro/di water in your tank, this also reduces the risk for an algae outbreak since there is who knows what in the tap water. Top of the water in your tank with fresh ro/di water when it gets low, i just keep a small bucket beside my tank and do it daily.

There might be the tanks that are set up and running at the pet store as well. I would just get the water tested before purchasing it. Check the ammonia and nitrite.

Helpful hints:
-make sure the clowns are eating before you purchase them and that they are truly a mated pair, this means one is usually larger than the other and they wont fight.
-don't overfeed, this causes algae, every other day is fine for fish
-feed a variety of foods (mysis, blood worms, flakes, and brine which is not nutritial for the fish but a nice treat)
-no additives are necessary for your tank, water changes should keep all levels stable
- Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby
- Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

there are also other articles on this website that would be helpful to read, I'd check them out.
Thanks very much.. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let us know if you decide to get the tank! Would be an awesome gift...pretty pricey, but awesome!
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Maybe i'm the only one but a pair of clowns in an 8g seems a little tight to me....
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO it's a great starter tank, mine is doing great at just about 1 year old this month!

Edit: I agree with flake, maybe one perc or ocellaris, not two
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO a 8g is to small for a clown, mine was so tiny when I got it a year ago and now it is nearly 3 inches and it loves it's zoom room. The shape of a cube is nice but there isn't much back and forth swimming space.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

how is the 14g then?
thanks guys!

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com